Trim Ram Reinstall >

Trim Ram Reinstall

Notices

Trim Ram Reinstall

Old 07-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trim Ram Reinstall

Ok, I will admit it. I know very little about outdrives, so I have a question for the experts. Took the trim rams off to check for seal leaks. I found oil leaking down from the cavitation plate and running down the front of the lower and off the skeg. Most of the oil was around the front u-shaped anode. Found neither ram leaking, so now I am going to hook them back up. I know this is outdrive 101, but one of the rams has extended a few inches and is longer than the other.

1. I know (at least I think I know) I can put one ram on and then lift the drive a little and slip other on, but when they are both on will they equalize and settle in the down position?
2. Is there a proper way to reinstall the rams or will the above work with no problems?
Old 07-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once on cycle it up and down. You might have to cycle them to get them lined up to slide them on.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a trim ram seal leak before. You will most likely have to keep raising and lowering your drive multiple times while watching and topping off your drive oil to bleed the system of air. Since I have twins I could keep raising and lowering the drive till it matched the same speed as the other drive that didn’t have the ram seals replaced. If one ram is extended farther than then other just stick that one temporarily in the drive and push down on the drive by hand till it retracts so you can get both on.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

1. I know (at least I think I know) I can put one ram on and then lift the drive a little and slip other on, but when they are both on will they equalize and settle in the down position?
Ayuh,.... It's easier to lift the drive, 'n attach the longest ram 1st, then push down, til ya can push the pin through the lower ram,....

Just run it up, 'n down a few times after they're hooked up, to bleed the system,.....
Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondo
Ayuh,.... It's easier to lift the drive, 'n attach the longest ram 1st, then push down, til ya can push the pin through the lower ram,....

Just run it up, 'n down a few times after they're hooked up, to bleed the system,.....
It was much easier than I expected. Took a little bit, but they equalized right out. After putting them back on and raising and lowering it a few times, I finally found the leak in the rams. They will be overhauled tomorrow.

Thanks for the help