Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo One not going into gear >

Bravo One not going into gear

Notices

Bravo One not going into gear

Old 10-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is the lower shift cable. The outer case corrodes and fails, this causes reduction in the inner cable movement because the outer sheath moves. With the drive trimmed up have someone move your shift lever while you watch the shift cable by the bellows. If the outer sheath of the cable moves the cable is bad.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point. Lots of good answers here
Old 03-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Well Just picked up the boat last weekend and It was Stripped engine coupler splines.. Had the motor pulled, engine coupler replaced and motor put back in. Just figured I would post what the fix was so anyone having the same issue might be able to check this on their boat.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the coupler was only stripped in one direction?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Registered

No, The coupler splines were just stripped.. The difficulty shifting was because I messed with the adjustement of the shift cables. The prop would not turn either way.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Good to hear u found the problem.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
Well Just picked up the boat last weekend and It was Stripped engine coupler splines.. Had the motor pulled, engine coupler replaced and motor put back in. Just figured I would post what the fix was so anyone having the same issue might be able to check this on their boat.
That is EXACTLY what happened to ours. What we guessed was that the prior owner thought he was smarter than an alignment tool and proceeded to tighten down the motor mounts - knocking the engine out of alignment. What I've done since having the coupler replaced is every other year have the alignment checked -- Also, make sure you lubricate the splines with the correct grease- I have a dedicated grease gun and a very long extension hose with a NAPA adjustable -zerk coupler that I use. If you have insomnia you can search OSO and read about the frustrations that I had with a Harbor Freight zerk coupler -- URGH

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue.

3pointstar
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I've never seen one strip except for one I repaired years ago on a 4.3. It is a pain to align the shaft without 2 people. Also of climbing in and out of the boat until the alignment tool slides in freely. Those rear motor mounts are not all the same. Personally they should have made them adjustable, it would make life so much easier
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by veloc410
Wow I've never seen one strip except for one I repaired years ago on a 4.3. It is a pain to align the shaft without 2 people. Also of climbing in and out of the boat until the alignment tool slides in freely. Those rear motor mounts are not all the same. Personally they should have made them adjustable, it would make life so much easier
The mechanic said one of my engine mount bolts was loose and that is what caused the issue. It was cheaper then a drive to fix so I was happy.

What it should look like.

What it should not look like....
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

off alignment and lack of grease cause that.

Asking -- Also any impact damage on the prop ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.