Who for IMCO SC inspection/refresh

Notices

Who for IMCO SC inspection/refresh

Old 11-24-2017, 10:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Who for IMCO SC inspection/refresh

Evening, I'm looking for a little direction in who whould be best suited for my drive service. I have a couple IMCO SCs with supposedly under 60hrs, no issues yet "except" for a little brass flaking from my PT drive @ season end oil change.
I'd like to establish a maintenance baseline so I'm thinking the due diligence would be to have them inspected/refreshed. I've read great things about Dick "Mr.Gadgets" and George @ All American. Im up in Maine, but have no problem shipping. Any constructive suggestions would be welcomed; thanks.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:59 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

With only 60 hrs, I wouldn't take them apart. The SC's are pretty much just XR's with a thicker upper case and better quality control.
I had almost 250 hrs on the SC upper on my Pantera behind 550hp and it was never taken apart.
I would just change the lube every 25-30 hrs and go from there based on the lube.

Person that bought the boat ran it some and was adding more HP so he had IMCO go through it. It was due for gears and bearings by then.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Griff
With only 60 hrs, I wouldn't take them apart. The SC's are pretty much just XR's with a thicker upper case and better quality control.
I had almost 250 hrs on the SC upper on my Pantera behind 550hp and it was never taken apart.
I would just change the lube every 25-30 hrs and go from there based on the lube.

Person that bought the boat ran it some and was adding more HP so he had IMCO go through it. It was due for gears and bearings by then.
Yup, I'm familiar with the drives and what they are or arent lol.. Their in back of 750hp and I do have some slight brass flake in the PT gear oil. Discretion is the better part of valor. Id rather not have that one at least go boom.. I hear you but I'm trying to be pro active here.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Dick - Mr gadgets would be my choice. Might not be a big outfit but the prices I’ve gotten from him for various work is very reasonable, he’s always easy to get a hold of, and honest and polite. Smaller shops like him are business by quality not business by quantity.

if I was seeing brass flakes I’d be tearing those things apart as well.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Dick - Mr gadgets would be my choice. Might not be a big outfit but the prices I’ve gotten from him for various work is very reasonable, he’s always easy to get a hold of, and honest and polite. Smaller shops like him are business by quality not business by quantity.

if I was seeing brass flakes I’d be tearing those things apart as well.
Thanks, appreciate that referral.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brass is usually clutch material, might want to check the linkage. Too much pressure on the shift fork can do that.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by launchpad475
Brass is usually clutch material, might want to check the linkage. Too much pressure on the shift fork can do that.
Thanks for that, I was talking to the guy who refreshed them last and he said it may be from shifting at too high of a rpm; which made perfect sense seeing as how the idles were set at 1000. I questioned the seller about the idle when we ran the boat when I first looked at it and he said they tended to foul plugs idling under 1000. When I got the boat home the 1st time out I lowered the idles to 750-800. Imco suggests shifting at no higher than 800 I think. So perhaps the flakes were from that. Still tho, I would think I'd want them looked at, but obviously I'm no expert. I'd just rather refresh a few minor parts insted of a major issue...
Old 11-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would also recommend Mr Gadgets (Dick), very happy with his work and correspondence.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by badluck
Would also recommend Mr Gadgets (Dick), very happy with his work and correspondence.
thanks Badluck!
Old 11-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dick Tryce ( Mr Gadgets ) built my drive for my Daytona with 800+ HP - on the second year without any issues. He built my X drive upper from scratch and went through a -3 IMCO lower that I bought new from IMCO. He went through it to make sure everything was proper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.