New merc 70/90 oil color? >

New merc 70/90 oil color?

Notices

New merc 70/90 oil color?

Old 06-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New merc 70/90 oil color?

Is the new 75/90 oil more clear than old green color?
Old 06-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Is the new 75/90 oil more clear than old green color?
Serviced ine today for the season. Noticed the exact same thing. I own a auto shop and it looked like regular old gear lube. The blue stuff from mercury had an odor like it had friction modifier in it. The friction modifier i use for ford axles is motorcraft XL.3 and its blue/green like the merc fluid i used to use. That additive is used to make the rear axle limited slip clutches slip around corners. Ive never had a outdrive apart. But I didn't think they have any clutch material in them?

I likely made a confusing post...

I agree, Its not green anymore.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:57 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Which gear lube exactly??? The Merc Hi Perf aka Quicksilver Gear lube was still the same color for me.
I don't know about new formulation that came out recently.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Registered

New oil .....never ran
Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes the new lube is no longer green/blue
However there was one batch that left the factory that mistakenly had dye added to it even though it is the new stuff.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
Yes the new lube is no longer green/blue
However there was one batch that left the factory that mistakenly had dye added to it even though it is the new stuff.
hey Marc.... does the pic look like the new extreme oil or would it be the performance oil? And just so everyone knows ... you can't mix switch the older HP oil? Thanks ....m
Old 06-04-2018, 04:30 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Currently Merc stopped using the oil formulator / supplier in New Jersey for the HIGH PERFORMANCE gear oil ( teal green color ) - The 3 offerings for gear oil that Merc does / did have --- came from 3 different suppliers. Merc racing gear oil - comes from a supplier in the Midwest, The High Performance gear oil came from New Jersey supplier and the Preminum Blend came from Citgo. .

The High Performance gear oil ( teal green color ) was a 80 /90 and a NON syn. oil. Many people thought it was a syn oil and again it was a ZERO syn gear oil. Actually it was the supplier lowest tier of gear oil out of 3.blends that they offered for the marine side. The supplier from NJ. .
Old 06-07-2018, 11:00 AM
BUP
Banned

need to comeback to change all what I wrote and what I heard. The Merc High Perf gear oil is still available and still greenish blue in color. I heard that this was going to be the replacement (and still is kicked around but did not happened currently ) Was told it was going to be the replacement soon. Just like Merc carried 3 different greases, then went to one grease called EXTREME Grease. Was told the same for the gear oil. Merc Racing and other Merc drives was going to be the EXTREME Gear oil (Golden / Amber in color ) . Merc Racing changed the name last year to EXTREME Gear oil. Was told currently can happen whenever but both are still available at this time - Green / Blue High Performance gear oil and the golden EXTREME gear oil for all drives as well.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

^^^Just loaded up a 5gal pale of the above into my drives. GOLD colored.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:54 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by frickstyle
^^^Just loaded up a 5gal pale of the above into my drives. GOLD colored.
Yep what I have in the pic that bottle is Golden / amber color. So is the Merc racing branded one to.

They told me today the Merc High performance gear oil is around and greenish / blue in color. Talked to Merc tech services. Like I said the EXTREME gear oil was to replace the High Performance gear oil but so far has not.

To be clear on your end which Merc / Quicksilver gear oil did you BUY exactly ? the EXTREME gear oil - or - the High Performance gear oil ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.