Notices

Bravo 3 Failing? Oil Analysis Results

Old 08-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

[QUOTE=scarabman;4644265]
Originally Posted by Griff
Cone clutches either work or they don't. They don't slip.

That is a 100% incorrect statement. Cone clutches very often start to slip going into gear prior to failure. In fact, slipping is usually the give away that they have reached the end of their life expectancy. Some operators may notice it, some do not
I guess you could call that slipping. They get glazed and won't engage the gears which causes a delay when shifting gears. I was more referring to they are either engaged or they are not.
It won't create enough heat to burn the lube and he hasn't mentioned any issues with delays shifting into gear.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my merc service manual from fleabay. There is a spec for prop shaft axial movement but not radial movement. It appears that radial movement is determined by the prop shaft bearings (41&36) and there is no adjustment. I plan to replace these bearings, It looks like I will need two special tools and should be fairly straightforward.
Axial play I am having some trouble with and the manual provides the spec but does not go into detail on how it is adjusted. From what I can tell it’s one of three ways:
1. Bearing and shim stackup for the bearing on the end of the propeller shaft (33 &34).
2. How tight you tighten the bearing retaing nut.
3. It is preset when setting the drive shaft (17) pinion depth? The seems cumbersome as you wouldn't know until complete assembly.
Anyone know for sure.
Please feel free to shoot holes in my logic.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Registered

The report back so far is.... One of the teeth on the upper pinion is damaged, Other gears are showing signs off pitting, upper bearing cages are pitted.

Last edited by mtocrs1; 08-21-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

The play in the drive is all controlled by the bearings and shims, 25, 39 and 32. Shims 25 and 32 normally are reused and are only changed if play does not meet spec, or if they where damaged during disassembly. The bearing retaining nut and carrier is torqued to spec before play is checked. I had to buy several of the tools to rebuild my lower B3 years ago.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...utdrive-repair

Last edited by AllDodge; 08-21-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

[QUOTE=scarabman;4644265]
Originally Posted by Griff
Cone clutches either work or they don't. They don't slip.

That is a 100% incorrect statement. Cone clutches very often start to slip going into gear prior to failure. In fact, slipping is usually the give away that they have reached the end of their life expectancy. Some operators may notice it, some do not
someone explain to me how a “slipping” clutch can turn into a failed drive. Sure the shifting mechanism is worn out. How does that translate to broken gears etc? I don’t understand...I ask because ours started to slip in reverse. Going to rebuild them this winter but want to run a few more weeks. Side note our gear oil always comes out green and looking unused.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:35 PM
Registered

These are some pics of what was found, the upper is getting rebuilt with new bearings and gears as we speak, the lower..... well it will be flushed as best as possible and I will cross my fingers for a while and continue to monitor the gear oil. There was a bearing roller that was missing, it was found in the shifter linkage. I will get more specifics on what bearing it came from.
I guess I learned the oil doesnt lie....

Last edited by mtocrs1; 08-21-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
The play in the drive is all controlled by the bearings and shims, 25, 39 and 32. Shims 25 and 32 normally are reused and are only changed if play does not meet spec, or if they where damaged during disassembly. The bearing retaining nut and carrier is torqued to spec before play is checked. I had to buy several of the tools to rebuild my lower B3 years ago.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...utdrive-repair

Thanks for the feedback, My bearing tolerances must have opened up over time.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Yup, she wasn't long for this world. Hey, you got a lot of hours out of that drive considering it is pushing a heavy, single engine boat. Hopefully nothing in the lower is shedding metal and contaminates the newly rebuilt upper. However, I bet your lower gears are pitted as well.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mtocrs1
Thanks for the feedback, My bearing tolerances must have opened up over time.
With the metal from the upper running around in the oil, that explains your clearances. IMO, time for all new bearings if not gears also.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Yup, she wasn't long for this world. Hey, you got a lot of hours out of that drive considering it is pushing a heavy, single engine boat. Hopefully nothing in the lower is shedding metal and contaminates the newly rebuilt upper. However, I bet your lower gears are pitted as well.
Yeah I am hoping there is nothing in the lower that takes out the upper. I am wiling to risk it at this point. Cost and circumstance. I am hoping the upper gear fretting was caused by rust from condensation, heat and cold cycles in storage during the winter months. Who knows just get me back on the water!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.