Drives for 1995 Formula PC34

Notices

Drives for 1995 Formula PC34

Old 08-22-2018, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drives for 1995 Formula PC34

Hey guys,
working on my PC and trying to decide if I want to have my Bravo III'S redone or invest in something else.
The boat will be used in Cape Cod Bay, Buzzards Bay, and for island hopping along the New England coast. Much of the time traveling to Boston, Provincetown, and Maine, etc. will have to be done at idle because of the Cape Cod Canal. Also, I live in New Bedford and keep the boat way up the river. Again, lots of idling...until I get out of the harbor. Engines will be stock or slightly modded Mercruiser 7.4's.
Any and all advice, thoughts, and opinions are welcome. Have been watching the forum for several years now and it's with gratitude that I say that your influence and expertise is what got me this far!
Thanks!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

While Bravos III's aren't ideal when kept in salt water.......the conversion to anything else will cost as much or more than the entire boat is worth. Redo them, buy a spare, AND keep lots of money in your pocket.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Registered

Thanks for the response but shouldn't ya always keep lots of money in your pocket when there's a boat in the equation?
What about used drives? ASD6's or something?
Old 08-22-2018, 09:30 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Arneson makes bravo replacements. They require a transmission and a pair cost well over $60K last I checked. Never heard of any being sold used (who would go back to bravos after that!). These would also require new, very expensive props that would sit back 2.5-3 feet past where your current props sit........have kids? Do you really want to swim back there?

There are replacement options but $50K isn't likely to be enough (unless you go with something like the IMCO SCX, etc which are really just beefed up Bravo drives). For your intended purpose the BIII is the best choice.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Registered

#1 Don't want new. Not even gonna price 'em.
#2 Doesn't have to be BIII replacement
#3 Arneson Surface Drives don't stick out that much further past the swim platform than the B III's (fake news) and who swims in the Atlantic any more anyway? Sharks and pollution kinda take the fun out of it! LOL. There was another shallow water shark attack on the cape just last week.
What about surface drives? There are some old ones (Kaama, Arneson, etc) that can be had for about the same price as BIII's. Thinking outside the box, how much would they improve performance? They are used on mega-yachts, Magnums, and various mitary applications around the world. If they're really more efficient, wouldn't they be better?