Bravo XR’s Need Refreshing >

Bravo XR’s Need Refreshing

Notices

Bravo XR’s Need Refreshing

Old 09-22-2018, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Have them redone. They are a known entity to you.
I was thinking the same thing...might be a bit more costly but atleast I know what I have!!!
Old 09-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1

griff, I’m in Connecticut...
Don't know anybody out that way to recommend.
The others already listed are good choices and add OSO "Mr Gadgets" Dick Tryce to the list as an option. I think he is in MI as well.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Went thru this same decision myself just about a year ago, came to the conclusion that buying new XR's then selling the used off for what they were made the most sense for me. Bought the new ones from Bam, best price I could find, full warranty, knew exactly what I had when all was done. Sold the used drives to a member on here, he is nearby, came checked them out, drove home with them, he was good, I was good, worked fine for us. I spent a lot of time making that decision. Much like I am now on servicing my 525's. We all go at things differently, good luck with your drive project.

The member that bought my drives is in the Lake George area, he does work on drives for Merc dealers in that area. Goes by Clustergear on here, if you are interested.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 09-29-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Went thru this same decision myself just about a year ago, came to the conclusion that buying new XR's then selling the used off for what they were made the most sense for me. Bought the new ones from Bam, best price I could find, full warranty, knew exactly what I had when all was done. Sold the used drives to a member on here, he is nearby, came checked them out, drove home with them, he was good, I was good, worked fine for us. I spent a lot of time making that decision. Much like I am now on servicing my 525's. We all go at things differently, good luck with your drive project.

The member that bought my drives is in the Lake George area, he does work on drives for Merc dealers in that area. Goes by Clustergear on here, if you are interested.
how much were you out between buying and selling? Best price I found on new drives was 10k each...so thats 20k. Mine are probably only worth 5k. So I’d be out 15k?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:53 PM
Registered

how much were you out between buying and selling? Best price I found on new drives was 10k each...so thats 20k. Mine are probably only worth 5k. So I’d be out 15k?
I had one drive that had just started making noise in gear, metal on the magnets and presumed to be spent, other was working fine but had been same distance so was assumed to be ready for a complete refresh. These drives had served me well for over 300 hours.

My math here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, rebuild two drives, complete, all new gears, upper and lower, everything except cases and shafts replaced with new, my thought was about 7thou each, times two, or 14thou plus the always something. Then throw in refinish the cases to like new at who knows how much.

Two brand new Bravo XR low water pickup drives, and with the SeaCore option thrown in, full Merc warranty, shipped to my door by Bam Marine for 17,800 and change vs the 14 - 15 to rebuild. Choice in my mind was simple. I did not get big money out of my used drives, my choice, had a solid buyer that came, checked to verify that what I said was true, handed me cash money, and parted a friend. I sold him what we agreed were the good parts left with no BS.

What did it cost me out of pocket to have brand new drives with a full warranty from Merc vs my old chit rebuilt with no warranty and in need of refinish???? Very little, and the peace of mind that all was new was just like a freebie.

Bam buys Merc chit in bulk all the time, they buy overstocks, manufacturer returns, on and on. This chit is often the buy of the year. I worked for a decade in sales for a sizeable Merc dealership and could not beat the Bam deal at our cost. You just need to be active and watch their site, they move some serious Merc parts, and their service is second to none based on my experience with their staff. Money wired at 10, drives in the little brown truck by noon, these people do not mess around.

Sorry for being long winded here, good luck.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

All American is $4800 each for fully rebuilt XR's with 2 year warranty
Old 10-03-2018, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

AADS cost me just under $4,800 for a standard Bravo. New upper and lower gear sets, new cone clutch, all new bearings and seals, input and prop shafts resized and re-chromed, 2 year warranty.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Registered

Interesting reads...I knew aads was 4800 each. The bam story is intriguing. 17,800 - 5000 for mine...13,800 all new vs. 10k rebuilds. Can almost get another rebuild out of the difference 3800. Hmmm. Will have to think about it.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:49 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just shipped two shorty sportmasters to AADS - in addition to the standard rebuild, they have some options to strengthen the drive, and help increase the longevity of the gears. They warranty up to 650 hp I believe.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Registered

Interesting reads...I knew aads was 4800 each. The bam story is intriguing. 17,800 - 5000 for mine...13,800 all new vs. 10k rebuilds. Can almost get another rebuild out of the difference 3800. Hmmm. Will have to think about it.
The question was posed, I answered you. Just threw in my thinking about why I did what I did.

I understand the 4800, but how? Upper and lower gear sets and a cone clutch are almost 3800, Merc price. I don't doubt they do what they say, don't doubt they stand behind what they do, just can't see how they can give you all new parts in your, or any used case, for that money. The splines on your propshaft are twisted just a little, new one is 900 bucks.

New, used, rebuilt, exchanged. All have their pros and cons, individual choice, good luck with your project.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.