Notices

Bravo XR’s Need Refreshing

Old 10-04-2018, 06:27 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
The question was posed, I answered you. Just threw in my thinking about why I did what I did.

I understand the 4800, but how? Upper and lower gear sets and a cone clutch are almost 3800, Merc price. I don't doubt they do what they say, don't doubt they stand behind what they do, just can't see how they can give you all new parts in your, or any used case, for that money. The splines on your propshaft are twisted just a little, new one is 900 bucks.

New, used, rebuilt, exchanged. All have their pros and cons, individual choice, good luck with your project.
I think you are quoting list prices - I would assume that a business like AADS would buy those parts in such volume as to get some kind of discount.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dcb
I think you are quoting list prices - I would assume that a business like AADS would buy those parts in such volume as to get some kind of discount.
I do not doubt that they are a Merc dealer and buy at dealer prices, yes my numbers are list. I am in no way trying to say that they can not do a rebuild at their stated price, I have looked at their site and have even called in the past about their upgrades, years back I trashed five Bravos with my Velocity.

I base my comment on my drives, my thought that they were spent and needed everything, turns out they did, and that for that money I could never get new, all new parts, equal to new perfect flawless cases, mine were in need of some love after 11 years of service. Simply stated my thinking, or some might say the lack of, in replacing mine. Bravo drives are what they are, eventually they all reach the point of no return, or at least limited return, mine were there, so I just bit it and replaced them.

Just a side here did your 35 come from Sutters Marine in Canadaguia NY, talking original first sale?

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 10-06-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:26 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

I do not doubt that they are a Merc dealer and buy at dealer prices, yes my numbers are list. I am in no way trying to say that they can not do a rebuild at their stated price, I have looked at their site and have even called in the past about their upgrades, years back I trashed five Bravos with my Velocity.

I base my comment on my drives, my thought that they were spent and needed everything, turns out they did, and that for that money I could never get new, all new parts, equal to new perfect flawless cases, mine were in need of some love after 11 years of service. Simply stated my thinking, or some might say the lack of, in replacing mine. Bravo drives are what they are, eventually they all reach the point of no return, or at least limited return, mine were there, so I just bit it and replaced them.

Just a side here did your 35 come from Sutters Marine in Canadaguia NY, talking original first sale?
Your reasoning for new drives seems sound, not trying to say it wasnt. No my boat originally was sold by Shogren.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Registered

r
Originally Posted by dcb
Your reasoning for new drives seems sound, not trying to say it wasnt. No my boat originally was sold by Shogren.
Every situation is different, I've had reduild not make it thru a weekend, sorry no warranty on that, it's high performance you know, not our fault you broke it. Had one case I had to have a freshened lower redone before it ever got wet. Lucky me, I live in the butthole of the world.

Ask because just a few days after buying this boat Sutters called me about a new listing they had, staggered 35 with the same graphics as yours. Had been looking for a staggered boat but just could not find one for the right money.

I'm sure AADS does fine work, good luck with your deal, some of their upgrades do look interesting.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 10-08-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

r

Every situation is different, I've had reduild not make it thru a weekend, sorry no warranty on that, it's high performance you know, not our fault you broke it. Had one case I had to have a freshened lower redone before it ever got wet. Lucky me, I live in the butthole of the world.

Ask because just a few days after buying this boat Sutters called me about a new listing they had, staggered 35 with the same graphics as yours. Had been looking for a staggered boat but just could not find one for the right money.

I'm sure AADS does fine work, good luck with your deal, some of their upgrades do look interesting.
Thanks - I will let everyone know how it goes, so far so good, George is easy to talk to and seems very knowledgeable. The staggered boats do seem to command a premium - things just worked out for me when I bought mine in 2016.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I've had great luck with Victory Marine in Houston TX!

Victory Marine ? High Performance Racing
Old 10-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info��
Old 10-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kingwebby11
Great info��
The great thing about this forum. Post what you have experienced, explain the how and why of what you did. The next guy might not agree with your take on things, his experience might be somewhat different, his approach to remedy might be different.
Listen, discuss, learn.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 787 Likes on 371 Posts

Still debating what to do...I have another month or so to decide.