Notices

Mercy racing oil

Old 09-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP

Ryan or whomever ----quick jist here to make sure 100 percent your not leaking gear oil. Just because the reservoir stays full means nothing that the outdrive itself is not leaking. It does not take much to plug and or a small kink in the reservoir line or any oil paths restriction down thru to the outdrive. Not uncommon for this to take place - ( a restriction that keeps the oil level full in the reservoir ).

I would put the outdrive dead level and unscrew the vent screw completely out - does gear oil come out ? if so or if not - stick a thin straw or tie wrap thru the vent hole and see if you get gear oil on it. if not keep bending the straw or tie wrap down ward to see where the oil level is at.

The deal for phantom gear oil leaks a short jist of it ---- is when the prop spins it creates a vacuum, the faster the prop spins the more vacuum force is created - this actually can pull the gear oil out past the prop seal. You can pressure test all day long and will hold pressure 100 percent. . Pressure testing is a good test to perform but is NOT a 100 percent valid test for the phantom gear oil leaks especially without fast prop rotation.

Bravo 3 are more the norm for this exact phantom gear oil leak. actually all drives are but less common than the Bravo 3. That one is extremely common --- the Bravo 3.
John, appreciate the reply. Will check the vent hole for oil. I relocated the reservoir to transom this past spring. Hose looked good and was clear. No leaks on drive seals or into u joint bellows. No visible water in oil. Magnet looks great.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Been looking around for best price and found 5 gal and they charge shipping
PPT at 265.48
https://www.perfprotech.com/gearlube...product/518798
BAM at 277.97
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/8m00...gearlube-5-gal

Free ship
Amazon at 281.97
Amazon Amazon
Ebay is 281.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mercury...-/361859213081
PartsVu is 269.12
https://www.partsvu.com/gearlube-5-gallon.html
Old 09-29-2018, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
So who has the best price for the quart bottles?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Registered

Can get at Walmart (+tax) or ebay (no tax) for 20.59, free ship
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mercury...-/271546913945

Can get it at Crowley 16.99 and BAM 17.96 for less but appears shipping is in the 20 something ship charge. If more is bought the ship goes up slightly for each
Wholesale Marine is out of stock, but if they get more in at same price this would be where to get it at 15.16
Old 09-29-2018, 09:52 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

12 qts shipped $ 215 USA only -- And no Hawaii or Alaska that would be extra shipping

BUY AS MUCH AS YOU WANT but 12 qt min. The more you buy the price will go down

Last edited by BUP; 09-29-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
First season running the Merc Racing 85w90 oil. Bought a 5gal pail last fall for $250. I've ran the Hi Performance forever till now. Interesting observation...always had to keep topping off the drive reservoir thru the season with the high performance. No leaks, psi and vac tested drive. With the new Merc Racing oil, I never needed to top off like before. Also, no nasty sludge in bottom of reservoir like the green Hi Performance oil.
Interesting interesting, I've noticed my drives need to be topped off using medium grade high performance oil. I was thinking dealer pinched off oil reservoir line and filled till top vent and maybe oil didn't find its natural level yet. I'm running Bravo threes. Just drained both drives, oil was black, supposedly changed at 175 hours, boat has 217 on it now. Drive oil was very black nothing on the magnets. I put 17 hours on the boat. we just purchased it. I'm a mechanic at trade and I've been watching.
can the racing oil be used in bravo threes? anybody have any recommendations on this?
Old 10-01-2018, 06:49 AM
Registered

I to have B3 and they get hotter then other bravo's just cruising. With it getting black its getting hot. Do you have showers on the drives?
Old 10-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
I to have B3 and they get hotter then other bravo's just cruising. With it getting black its getting hot. Do you have showers on the drives?
No not yet on the showers. Doesn t smell burnt. Even the oil in the reservoirs was dirty.
I question whether the oil was ever changed like I was told @ the 177 hour mark. If it was then I think there may be issues? I do not know if oil was changed out regularly. There may be a lot of residue due to lack of changing??
Sorry to the OP for getting off topic. Not trying to steel your thread.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:50 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

you need to change gear oil bare min once per year regardless of hours anyways. Black gear oil is from heat and oxidized. Way over do for a change. And question mark the quality of the gear oil itself.

If you are racking up hours during the year then IMO On Bravo 3 --- 40 to 50 hours MAX is all would I do for timeframes. between changes.

You always want to check gear oil levels and any moisture content from the drive / gear oil thru out the year as well. It always best to pressure test the drive after draining the gear oil completely out. Not everyone does this procedure but should..

Bravo 3 are leakers thru the prop shaft seal while running. not all but it is NOT uncommon -- more times than not.

Last edited by BUP; 10-01-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
you need to change gear oil bare min once per year regardless of hours anyways. Black gear oil is from heat and oxidized. Way over do for a change. And question mark the quality of the gear oil itself.

If you are racking up hours during the year then IMO On Bravo 3 --- 40 to 50 hours MAX is all would I do for timeframes. between changes.

You always want to check gear oil levels and any moisture content from the drive / gear oil thru out the year as well. It always best to pressure test the drive after draining the gear oil completely out. Not everyone does this procedure but should..

Bravo 3 are leakers thru the prop shaft seal while running. not all but it is NOT uncommon -- more times than not.
I'll take your good advice.
I talked to James @ Mercury today. He said I should run the newer Racing/Extreme gear lube. So thats what I m going to do.
I probably read 12 hours of threads on oil,gear oil, showers & drive gears in the last 3 nights. It is all sinking in.
I m going to dump the oil after the first run next season & showers are going on.
Any thoughts on flushing gear boxes? Anybody ever do that? Mercury has no experience or recommendations besides changing out fluid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.