Like Tree37Likes

XR advise

Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Registered

My Boat: Velocity 290 VR- 1
Default XR advise

Need some advise, here are the facts. 2005 Velocity VR 1, Bravo XR with 502 Innovation motor that Eddie Young rebuilt and improved, dyno was 564 hp @5400rpm. Unknown hours on drive but likely no more then 300.

Last year while running in some nasty stuff it jumped out of gear a couple of times. Later it seemed to shift a little harder. Asked Marina to look drive over carefully. No metal, oil good but a worn shifter. They tell me upper gears are supposed to be replaced when shifter is replaced. Gears are $1200 to 2000 depending on ratio. I haven't got labor quote yet. It is a good shop so I assume and hope this is correct. However, is there anything else I should be looking at? Any improvements that should be done at this time? I don't run extremely hard and no jack rabbit starts but one or two Poker Runs a year see a more speed and sometimes rough water or multiple boat wakes etc.

Thanks,
Padraig
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boat: 07 38 Lightning 600SCIs

With a single in the hull you have a refreshed XR should be good. I would put a tower in it for some support though. See this for more explanation Hi-Performance

Last edited by VoodooRob; 04-16-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

There’s only 1 ratio of XR upper gearsets (16/19) there right around $2k. They shouldn’t come out of gear unless the shift fork is activating it with human input....are you by chance running a LH prop ?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boat: .......32............. ............Active Thunder....

What exactly are they saying needs replaced? the shift linkage assembly???? Shift Fork??
If so, you do not need to replace upper gears. They just need to be reset with correct shimming and torque.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee View Post
There’s only 1 ratio of XR upper gearsets (16/19) there right around $2k. They shouldn’t come out of gear unless the shift fork is activating it with human input....are you by chance running a LH prop ?
Yes a left hand hydromotive five blade.

Padraig
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff View Post
What exactly are they saying needs replaced? the shift linkage assembly???? Shift Fork??
If so, you do not need to replace upper gears. They just need to be reset with correct shimming and torque.
Not sure...they just said shifter. I didn't talk to the drive mechanic I will ask when he calls back.

Padraig
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 1997 Nordic Heat

The day after I bought my heat I was out running on a small lake getting the hang of the boat whatever and I took off from a stop not hard just slowly came on plane and at about 30-40 mph BAM BAM! came out of gear and went back in gear destroying the gears....got it out of the water and pulled the drive to find that whatever marina the guy had work on the boat before I got it installed the drive without clipping the shift cable into the shift arm...if you've ever removed and installed a bravo you know what I'm talking about...ended up having to replace the intermediate cable along with a complete upper because when they crammed the drive on it bent the cable and it only shifted by pure chance and luck the cable got jammed under the shift arm....not saying this happened to yours but could shed some light on what parts they are replacing?? I would guess gears got tore up coming out of gear or are pitted and just need replacing...shifter ramp mechanism in the back of the drive and possibly intermediate cable if its stretched or damaged??

I have seen the detent ball in the back cap stick all the way in letting the drive pretty much shift on its own from the torque of the motor...you could def see the shifter moving when it did it however it didn't take much movement to destroy the upper from cycling from fully in gear to partially in gear....just some of my experiences...I would get a parts list and price from them and compare it to what you can buy a used XR upper for on here...might be cheaper and quicker ot get one here then rebuild that one at your leisure for a spare or sell it and get your money back....just a couple thoughts
Padraig likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Padraig View Post

Padraig
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...0990/10270/130. I’ ve had a situation with my l/h drive “coming out of gear while running hard and found that the keepers and the collar ( items 28 and 29. ) we’re beat up pretty good, the keepers actually had a ridge on them and were shiny, these items and the clutch shaft need to move as one, if not, the clutch won’t function, another symptom of it was that it shifted like a hydraulic transmission, very smooth instead of the typical clunk,’ I replaced the keepers and the collar and that took care of it
Padraig likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados

Originally Posted by Padraig View Post

Padraig
I owned a 30 Superboat w/525efi. The XR had around 170 hours on it spinning RH, some 5 blade, some 4. I switched to a LH 5 blade and the drive self destructed after a few hours. It broke a stud off the top cap. Could of just been a coincidence?

I wish I would of bit the bullet then and bought an IMCO drive. I replaced with another XR, went back to a RH prop, and that drive didn't last long either. I'd probably still have that boat if it wasn't for drive issues.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 2018 Princecraft Tritoon w/300 VRod

Left hand is always trying to walk that upper gear thru the top cap.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser