Bravo 3 lower unit shims >

Bravo 3 lower unit shims

Notices

Bravo 3 lower unit shims

Old 05-27-2019, 03:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 3 lower unit shims

working on a bravo 3 lower unit. The book is calling for.001-.050 end play on The prop shafts. I have removed the shim under the inner thrust bearing but still no end play. Anyone know what I am doing wrong ?

Last edited by woodchop; 05-27-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here is an update....
So, I am working on a Bravo 3X... and had the seal lands on an older pair of shafts ceramic coated - they turned out sweet - they are an older set out of a two-piece housing. I proceeded to install the shafts into my 3X. When torqued down, the pre-load was extreme. After tearing down several times and trying different shim sets, I checked the length of the outer shaft - what I found is the older shaft that I had ceramic coated is longer than the newer 3X. Also, there is a different thrust bearing for each. The newer 3X has a thicker thrust bearing with plastic separator, the older unit has a very thin thrust bearing with a metal separator. So, I ended up using a thin thrust bearing in the assembly and the pre-load is now very reasonable - best I can measure, it is about 5-6 in-lbs.

However, I still do not have the end-play the book is describing - so I kind'a have things worked out but not 100%. This drive did not have any notable play in it before I tore it down so not sure what to think...

Woodchop