Notices

Knocking noise XR

Old 05-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise XR

So I got my new 200hr XR diesel drives back from being serviced because they were running hot, put them on with fresh Merc. Racing oil and the port Drive is making a tick so hard in neutral that it’s knocking the shift cable around. It also whines like a sewing machine in gear 10x louder than the other. Mechanic says run it, it’ll probably loosen up. I know better, but here we go. Any ideas? Shift fork, preset to tight? They’re under warranty or i would never run it.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you checked your shift cable adjustment recently?
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 PM
Registered

Default Adjustment

They were adjusted with the special tool about 100hrs ago. New cables and no problems at all with the drives I just removed for routine service.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I am impressed you got 200 hours out of a set of XR gears. Do the XR diesel drives use the straight cut gears that the normal XR uses?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 PM
Registered

Default Really?

Really? I’ve been running X drives for years and getting 1000 hrs at least by under propping and taking care of them. Merc suggested the new XR diesel drives because of the larger gear floor on the straight cut gears vs the helical. So far since new they have burnt oil black in just a few hours of running and now this. I’m gonna have to hand out earplugs. With X drives I can go at least 100 hrs with oil looking good when it comes out. Sorry that I switched.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

You should have stayed with the X gears, you’ll never get 1000 hrs out of the XR’s....even at that, they shouldn’t rattle, somethings not right with gear timing/ shift fork...some will whine more than others tho

Last edited by JaayTeee; 05-30-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorefisher
Really? I’ve been running X drives for years and getting 1000 hrs at least by under propping and taking care of them. Merc suggested the new XR diesel drives because of the larger gear floor on the straight cut gears vs the helical. So far since new they have burnt oil black in just a few hours of running and now this. I’m gonna have to hand out earplugs. With X drives I can go at least 100 hrs with oil looking good when it comes out. Sorry that I switched.
Can I get a hell yeah to the X gears - Amen brother!

What ratio are you running just out of curiosity?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Can I get a hell yeah to the X gears - Amen brother!

What ratio are you running just out of curiosity?
the x drives are 1.81, the xrs are 1.65. Dropped from 21p to 19p. Performance is the same. 315 hp diesel.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorefisher
That is why I said XR gears, not X. Big difference,
Old 06-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Registered

Default Went bang

Lasted 40 hours and went bang. I think these things were defective from the start. Left me 90 miles out. These pos drives are coming off.