Notices

Prop locks

Old 11-24-2019, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Prop locks

How safe/secure are these types of locks? I plan on leaving my boat unattended on its boat lift under a boat house roof BUT not fully enclosed. Should I just remove/store the props?
Old 11-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I can tell you I had done the same thing on my boat lift. Had a 242sr1 w/ twin alpha and stainless props with the locks. Left boat on lift, which was in upstate NY on the Erie Canal with boats traveling by all the time. Did not loose a prop. Even left the boat in the slings over the winter when the river froze. No one took the props.

Technically I don’t know how easy it would be to break them off.....but it definitely makes it more work.

hope that helps
chris
Old 11-25-2019, 12:44 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Easy to defeat if you have the right size socket and a cordless impact, but better than nothing.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, better than nothing. They are relatively easy to cut off. I had an overzealous mechanic (evidently) use an impact on mine once. The teeth on the lock were chewed up and the key wouldn't work.

I just put the BBlades locks on mine last year.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts

You don't even need to cut them off......i bought an out-drive where the guy lost the key to the lock...i found a way online to get them off with 3 flat head screwdrivers and a hammer!!! silent and don't take long to do at all! i was shocked at how easy it is to get off! If it were me and you are worried about them then take them off every time! I take my prop off when i keep my boat in the driveway at home....thief's have no scruples when it comes to steeling stuff.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-25-2019, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

IMHO, by the time you take the prop nut off to change over to the lock nut. Why not just pull the prop and the temptation is gone?

A lock is only made to keep an honest man out..... I have seen people come back and the entire drive/prop is gone off the transom
Old 11-25-2019, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

GREAT responses...
Old 11-25-2019, 06:43 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Used a set on my props do to my boat was lift kept in a marina. Props never disappeared in the yrs I used them, so they do in fact work! Or it was just that no one wanted my props.

I did have the McGard prop locks as well as the drive locks, and also took pics of the locks installed......just incase they did get stolen. At least I could show my ins I took measures to secure them. Which is really what it boiled down to, because both locks could be defeated in seconds
Old 11-25-2019, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

McGard locks, used for years and never had a problem. All they are is a deterrent and will slow the thief down.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Anytime I've had a question about it, two seconds with my impact and they are off safely locked away elsewhere. I'm sure the locks keep lazy criminals away but it definitely sounds like anyone that wants them will get them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.