Speedo hole and Speedometer

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By waveryd

Speedo hole and Speedometer

Old 01-22-2020, 06:37 PM
Registered

Default Speedo hole and Speedometer

Hello all,

So I have twins with twin Bravo 1 units. I want to fix the speedo on the boat, because I hate seeing a dead gauge. I know the GPS is more accurate, and the speedometer will probably break again.
So, here is the situation...
One drive speedo hole is clear however this drive I am assuming does not have the connection piece on the inside of the drive where the yellow connector plugs into. So obviously the yellow fitting does not have a good connection.
My second drive has the speedo hole that is blocked with some extremely hard stuff, and I am afraid to drill into the hole. I drilled already into the hole but something is definitely blocked or it has been purposely been blocked.

Any recommendations? Does anyone have a picture, schematic or video of the bravo drive taken apart?
Is it difficult to get to the bushing inside the drive to install the bushing coupler to fix the 1 drive that does not have it.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Gps

You can drill into it with a piece of stiff wire or tiny cable. Then take compressed air and blow down through the yellow connector. The last GPS speedometer I purchased was under $100 with only 4 wires to connect. Life is too short to deal with these things anymore.
Mentalpause likes this.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:47 AM
Registered

You can drill out the junk in the hole with a pin vise and a long 0-80 drill bit. I clean mine out every time the Nordskog gets goofy and Always in the fall before freezing, so the case will not crack from the winter freeze. You should be able to find those bits and the vise at Menards or an upscale hobby store. The wired alarm guys used to use them all the time to poke wires. Send me a txt to 816-804-6311 and I will send a pic.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Priobe View Post
Hello all,

So I have twins with twin Bravo 1 units. I want to fix the speedo on the boat, because I hate seeing a dead gauge. I know the GPS is more accurate, and the speedometer will probably break again.
I am extremely pleased with my self-contained simple to install GPS speedometer. ~$80 delivered

ISO plug/play, self-contained, GPS speedo
AND
Recommended Speedo
Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by waveryd View Post
You can drill into it with a piece of stiff wire or tiny cable. Then take compressed air and blow down through the yellow connector. The last GPS speedometer I purchased was under $100 with only 4 wires to connect. Life is too short to deal with these things anymore.
+1. I carried a 3/16th bit for years in the boat to clean the hole out. But why would you screw with it anymore? Most of them aren't accurate anyway.