Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo shift cable bellows change. >

Bravo shift cable bellows change.

Notices

Bravo shift cable bellows change.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Bravo shift cable bellows change.

Boat sinking, have a hole in shift bellows on a 1997 Bravo. In general what is the method for changing these bellows? Can the cable be removed from the helmet end or do you have to pull it thru from the engine side? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Yes, you can remove the center of the cable and pull it out then disconnect the outer jacket.
There is some steps which need to look thru.
Do you have manual 11?

If not go to Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!
Old 05-01-2020, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Boat sinking, have a hole in shift bellows on a 1997 Bravo. In general what is the method for changing these bellows? Can the cable be removed from the helmet end or do you have to pull it thru from the engine side? Thanks.
I've done quite a few of them. You can replace the shift cable bellows without removing the engine side. The new one is pliable enough to stretch it over the threaded cable end. I use a little bit of grease to ease stretching & sliding it over the end.
The following users liked this post:
Pismo10 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smashm
I've done quite a few of them. You can replace the shift cable bellows without removing the engine side. The new one is pliable enough to stretch it over the threaded cable end. I use a little bit of grease to ease stretching & sliding it over the end.
Do you need to remove the core cable doing it this way?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:07 PM
Registered

Do you need to remove the core cable doing it this way?
I never have unless I'm actually replacing the cable. With the drive removed, remove the retaining nut on the cable. Pull the cable backwards out of the bell housing. Careful, it may be corroded in. Remove the old clamps, I usually slice the boot with a razor blade to remove it. Slide the new one on, be sure to apply a little lube to the cable threaded end first. I use a couple of small screwdrivers to work the small end over the cable end. Put the clamps on & you're ready to reassemble. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Tractionless (05-03-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 02:53 PM
Registered

Thanks.

Can you get the new bellows over that 5/8" brass nut? Seems big to stretch over that.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:18 PM
Registered

Thanks.

Can you get the new bellows over that 5/8" brass nut? Seems big to stretch over that.
Yep. Just lube it up & slowly work it over it. It will stretch & be just fine.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Might be able to, I never tried its just to easy to pull the cable and reinstall

Its easiest to be replacing the cable so you can use a piece of the old threaded rod. Without replacing cable just need something to screw into the cable so it can feed a string thru from engine. The string is used to pull the outer jacket back thru.

Attach string, pull jacket thru, replace boot pull jacket back thru with string

Old 05-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

just did both mine,
unhook the cable inside the engine compartment,remove the plastic guide from the end of the cable and the brass barrel/houshing assembly,reach down and remove the spiral protective housing ,tie a string to the end of the cable,now turn the wheel all the way to the left and trim drive up,
now go outside and use a 5/16 swivel socket on a 1/4 extension and loosen the shift bellows clamp, slowly pull cable out but be careful not to kink the cable,once out replace the bellows ,
now go inside the boat and pull the string so you can pull cable back in,(have a friend on the outside to help guide the cable),put shifter linkage together,tighten bellows clamp ,go boating,

took me about 1 1/2 to do both

Last edited by boatnt; 05-04-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Registered

So having issues.. How do I get the part of the cable that passes thru the bravo helmet out of there? I removed the nut and nothing moves. Looks like a brass part that passes thru a hole in the transom helmet. Wont come out even with a little persuasion. The drive end. Thanks

Last edited by Pismo10; 05-18-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.