Notices

Arneson ASD6/1720

Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arneson ASD6/1720

Rik
couldn't upload the pictures in PM
However just about to fit trim ram of ASD6 to transom, and noticed that the nylon plug in top of ram is sticking proud of the top section of ram which bolts to transom.
I saw one picture on web which showed this plug was level with end of the flange casting

Mine is protruding 10mm
The steering ram is similar
thinking its not right, as was going to router a hole out of transom for the nylon plug to sit into
thought I would first check
If the plug is suppose to level do I just give it a careful knock with hammer to recess it further

I also noticed on installation manual it calls for O-ring around this nylon plug which is sounds like it should be protruding ...but how much ?

attached few pics
any help would be great

Old 05-20-2020, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

My trim rams are not like that so i don't know , I know I would not cut my transom , I would make a plate the same size as the flange tighten it up and see if it will draw it in or trim it off with a sander ,
Old 05-20-2020, 09:03 AM
Registered

My transom needs final coating so if needed can be recessed
the steering ram nylon collar only protrudes 5mm and seems to look correct
I thought it may need a recess in transom or alternatively the nylon collar is there to be pushed in further towards ball of ram to add further support and lock ball

Old 05-20-2020, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

I would think it is there to provide access to the ball and keep the water out and grease in
Old 06-12-2020, 04:58 AM
Registered

okay managed to press the nylon bush/collar down to approx. 1.9mm below mounting surface of rams
not sure how much further to go
there looks to be oval seal which sits on nylon bush and seals the ram for water
However not sure whether this is specialized item or can use a piece of neoprene soft rubber to act as seal
if anyone can throw some light onto this subject would be great, as not sure how much gap should be between the clamping face of the ram and the nylon bush

Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Registered

Arneson ASD6 trim pump was bent most probably got knocked in transport or sitting under bench, or possibly dropped in transport
didn't pick this up until had cleaned out cylinders
Not to sure what material was made of, so had local engineer machine one up in 431 hi-tensile so a little stiffer i imagine than the original 304/316 S/S cylinder rod (if thats what it was originally)
upgraded the seals, o-rings

managed to get the nylon bush down to close the clearance of cylinder

Now need a Trim pump
Seems need to run Hi-volume mercruiser pump VB 500N-2, which uses the 0321 high flow gears, however not sure whether to run 12v or 24v pump motor
I have seen written that need to limit pressure in steering cylinders to < 1000 psi, not sure this equates to the trim pump pressure
I have trim pump here 88183A5, which seems to use same VB 500N-2 pump and reservoir with 12 Volt motor, so assuming this could be used or I change the motor out for 24volt
so many numbers to cross reference
whats the maximum pressure these pumps run??

anyway few pics as thought may help someone in future

bent trim cylinder rod