Catastrophic failure in outdrive >

Catastrophic failure in outdrive

Notices

Catastrophic failure in outdrive

Old 07-04-2020, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catastrophic failure in outdrive

Hi, we have a 1988 Nova XL 23' with 454 330hp and Bravo 1. On our way in this evening at 3900 rpm, a loud bang and loose grinding metal sounds came out of the engine bay with major vibrations ( the kids were crying, it was prettty stunning). Eventhough I cut the throttle to idle and hit it into neutral it was still clunking and vibrating. The engine itself seemed NOT to be the issue. I shut it down and got towed in. The outdrive now has a major loosness (up and down I did not try side to side. ) but I can pull up the bravo 1 like 5" and drop it. Inside the engine bay around the rear wall there is black soot everywhere. Any ideas ? I will send a mechanic, but kinda would like some opinions too. Thanks

Last edited by Jase; 07-04-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 323 Likes on 149 Posts

U-joint failure?
Old 07-04-2020, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Coupler and gimbal?
Old 07-04-2020, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Black soot on the inner transom can be the coupler spinning the hub... but that is a LOT. Definitely check the u-joints and gimbal.

The drive shouldn't be able to move up and down as the trim rams should be holding it in place... unless you severed the trim lines or..??? have you hit something in the past (there is a by-pass in the trim ram valving to let the drive rotate up on impact vs. ripping the drive off the transom).

Post what the outcome is....