Bravo 1 Shifting - Sticking/binding  in FWD >

Bravo 1 Shifting - Sticking/binding in FWD

Notices

Bravo 1 Shifting - Sticking/binding in FWD

Old 08-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo 1 Shifting - Sticking/binding in FWD

Last season I started having delayed or no shift into forward. After adjust a few times over the season to get me through, I installed a new lower shift cable at the beginning of this season. All was good. Smooth shifting effort, no delays, went right into gear as it had previously.

A few times this season however, the shifter will not come back to neutral. It will bind up just as its about to go to the neutral position. Usually a few quick FWD/Neutral movements will finally free it up back into neutral.
It tends to happen after running the boat in FWD at speed, then coming in to dock. Once it frees up the first time, it tends to go back and forth from FWD/Neutral/REV somewhat normal. I say TENDS to as its not always the case, but is most often the case, and somewhat normal as in I can still feel it wants to bind, but doesn't.

I did not use the alignment tool to adjust the new shift cable, I did it by feel and have not touched it since the install. Shifting is still precise going into forward and reverse.

This is a dual lever setup on a 1999 Baja 232 with 502 MAG. Shift bracket is tight, doesn't appear to bind at the bracket anywhere. My "Hunch" is that the duck bill mech in the drive that latches onto the cable is binding there..but not sure that makes any sense.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Have you checked you cable adjustment with the plastic Merc tool? You may be over driving it into forward causing it to bind.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like a cone clutch going bad.
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 08-13-2020, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Have you checked you cable adjustment with the plastic Merc tool? You may be over driving it into forward causing it to bind.
Thanks, I have not, I just did it by feel. I'll back it off a bit and see if it improves. (I don't have the tool).
Old 08-13-2020, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DiamondPerformance
Sounds like a cone clutch going bad.
I wondered that last year when I could't adjust it out enough... But the new lower cable fixed it right up early in the season, it was only after a few months of use the binding happened.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Agree, clutch
Old 08-13-2020, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I disagree with the clutch being bad. The clutch is designed to grab and “lock” into gear. The brass bump rings or shift fork are worn and not bumping out if gear. The clutch coming out of gear is a reaction to other parts at work.
The following users liked this post:
JaayTeee (08-13-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by windsurfnut
Thanks, I have not, I just did it by feel. I'll back it off a bit and see if it improves. (I don't have the tool).
Oh boy. There are 2 tools you need to use when swapping the shift cable. I just did mine and I used both. You can get the plastic tool from MerCruiser Tools and Supplies for the do-it-yourselfer right away they have it in stock. The cable adjustment is pretty fussy so you better get it right.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I've adjusted with tools, by feel idling on the trailer, and also new cable came preadjusted (barrel nut was penned in position). All was pretty easy and didn't have any issues later

Adjust on the trailer was because of difference of shift plate. The 3 inch pivot point adjustment on older shift plate didn't work out with new Merc cable
Old 08-17-2020, 09:09 AM
Registered

UPDATE - If I am very gentle with the shift lever and just pressure it back gently, it falls into Neutral easily. Its only quick shifts that it binds.