Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo 1 drive, x-dimension vs prop shaft height? >

Bravo 1 drive, x-dimension vs prop shaft height?

Notices

Bravo 1 drive, x-dimension vs prop shaft height?

Old 08-12-2020, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JaniH
I have regular 1.5 bravo drive, 24" Hydromotive p5x 5blade, 24" Bravo 4blade. Plan was to set the X high and go down with spacers if needed.

I did my 26 Corsa @ 18.5" X dimension.. ran GREAT with a Bravo I prop

Old 08-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
I did my 26 Corsa @ 18.5" X dimension.. ran GREAT with a Bravo I prop

Nice! What power? Weight of the boat? Top speed? Looks like 24degree v like mine.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

It was a 1984 WELL built so I would assume pretty heavy.. Had a 7' beam

My engine made 600 hp without the blower... Boat ran 86 MPH...

I ended up breaking the gimbal ring and spinning the boat out at 80+ due to no hydraulic steering..

I then decided this was NOT the hull for 1000+ hp it made with the Procharger.. Put a 454 back in it ran 68 MPH.. and sold it...

The following users liked this post:
JaniH (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari

in case you dont have a template. It has transom angles, recommended x dimensions and how much you can go up.

if all or most 260 stingers came with twin smallblocks and there is no known set up to follow, you are in uncharted territory, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Picking a wife is no where near as hard or as important as picking an X dimension, it's one of the most difficult decisions you'll ever be faced with.

Stay within (or near the top ) of mercury specs and within hp design limits,

you want a running boat to get a baseline of performance. from there you make changes and test.

that will make a nice boat too with a single. Start a build thread and get some pictures posted.
Very well said 👌I have the template and that brochure. I know few Stinger 260 with single bbc, one is with stock 496ho 420hp/bravo 1x, 60mph with 14.75" X-dimension, owner says it porpoises quit a bit at cruising speeds and thats why he is running 4blade prop wich helps a little. Other Stinger is with 500hp 454, also with deep X, 68mph with 3blade. Twin sbc 260 stingers has the so called "Stinger hop" (Porpoising) wich is strong at cruising speeds, porpoising is there even with single bbc with reduced weight from the transom, but not that strong than with twins. There is also one with twin mercruiser 300hp Tempest and shorty alphas, wich will rise the prop shaft 2.75" From the original, and the owner says it runs perfect and no porpoising. Several 260 owners claims that the Hull has hook near the transom like mine, is that causing the porpoising, I don't know but if the Hull flyes Nose happy even with hook in it, in my opinion it should work fine with higher X.
The following users liked this post:
MASOMAN (08-12-2020)