Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Trim Limit Adjustment - What r u using? >

Trim Limit Adjustment - What r u using?

Notices

Trim Limit Adjustment - What r u using?

Old 11-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Trim Limit Adjustment - What r u using?

Need to adjust the Trim Limit and Position Sender switches on my Bravo 1 behind the bone-stock Gen VI 502 Mag MPI in my 2000 271 FASTech. Found the Merc instructions here: https://www.mercstuff.com/trim_limit.htm

Any feedback or recommendations from "real world" experience regarding the Merc-suggested dimension? (FYI: I have not done the spacer swap to improve 0-to-plane time...)

Old 11-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

maximum trim ram pin to pin is 21.75"
Old 11-16-2020, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I just trimmed mine out to 21.75" and checked where that came to on my gauge. I don't think the trim switch was ever connected.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:33 AM
Registered

Yeah... Turns out both my Trim Limit and Trim Senders are calibrated well. Pin-to-pin I got 22" and left it there. What got me here to start is that the Trim Gauge only gets to about 80% of the labeled range when drive trimmed out fully to limit @22". So I guess that's where it lands based on the travel. If I use the Trailer Up switch, then the gauge goes to max. Left it all untouched but glad I confirmed. I was not the one that replaced the Trim Limit switch and now I know it is set properly. Plus I now know the max trim level range at the gauge.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SpidRacer
(FYI: I have not done the spacer swap to improve 0-to-plane time...)

Can you elaborate on this please? Never heard of this trick until now. Thank you
Old 11-16-2020, 10:11 PM
Registered

General consensus is that a stock (502) 271 FASTech is painfully slow to get on-plane. As I understand it, an "adjustment" is made where the rams bolt up to the drive allowing the drive to tuck-in more than the factory setting. By removing the ram nut at the drive and pulling them out, one can find that there is a spacer in a "position B3", which keeps the drive leveled and not too terribly tucked-in to prevent the boat from bow-steering once on-plane if drive is not trimmed-up quickly. This spacer can be repositioned to the other side so that the drive does tuck-in more when the rams are fully retracted. This helps a bit lifting the stern and gets the boat on-plane a bit faster. Of course, one apparently needs to be quick on the trigger to add a bit of trim once on-plane to avoid the bow-steer.

I mentioned I had not done it, as geometry dictates that once one does this, the Trim Limit would need to be adjusted a bit to then allow the rams a bit more extendion so that the drive can achive the recommended max 21.75", plus the spacer offset, to regain the full trim-out angle again.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 154 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Never read that before.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

that spacer is the celery stick!