Bravo 1 trims up, only down if I push on it >

Bravo 1 trims up, only down if I push on it

Notices

Bravo 1 trims up, only down if I push on it

Old 02-04-2021, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo 1 trims up, only down if I push on it

Hi guys, so at the end of thr season I was only able to trim up the Bravo 1. If I got in the water and pushed diwn on it while someone is trimming down, it went down, but not without my help. It uses the common style hydraulic motor. Where is the issue usually in this case? Thanks
Old 02-13-2021, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jase
Hi guys, so at the end of thr season I was only able to trim up the Bravo 1. If I got in the water and pushed diwn on it while someone is trimming down, it went down, but not without my help. It uses the common style hydraulic motor. Where is the issue usually in this case? Thanks
Ayuh,.... Most common is corrosion 'tween the seal gland, 'n the rod,.... or extremely dry ungreased pivot pins,....
Old 02-21-2021, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

the rams are usually the failure - the seals stick.
the pump has much more force in the 'up' direction. Mine both did this exact thing when I bought my boat used.

I bought 4 new SEI rams 4 years ago, and they've worked just fine. much cheaper than Merc ones. bolted right on.

https://www.sterndrive.cc/product/Fi...-98704A26.html
https://www.sterndrive.cc/product/Fi...-98703A26.html
Old 02-21-2021, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Local hydraulic shop will have all the seals and O-rings you need if you're a DIYer, or they will likely rebuild them for you for a bit more $. I keep a $11 set of seals and scrapers in the boat. I paid a marine dealership $400 to rebuild 2 cylinders! Learned quickly!)
If the motor is not running going down, it's just the down soleniod or switch. 'Sometimes' the little ball valve in the valvebody sticks or leaks, but that's pretty rare.