Bravo DWP vs LWP effect on engine temps >

Bravo DWP vs LWP effect on engine temps

Notices

Bravo DWP vs LWP effect on engine temps

Old 05-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Bravo DWP vs LWP effect on engine temps

I thought I would share my experience with the two types of Bravo one lowers. This is on my '04 Nordic Heat (single step hull) with a 496HO/Whipple (closed cooling). Running a 1" drive spacer to get the propshaft 4.5" below the pad. Thermostat is the one provided by Whipple @ 120 degrees.

Dual water pickup (DWP) lower would run at 180 degree engine temp when running pretty hard. Switched to a low water pickup (LWP) and the engine temps dropped over 20 degrees at the same duty cycle. Analog PSI gauge shows 22lbs for the water at WOT with the LWP. Unfortunately I don't know what the psi was with the DWP lower as I installed the gauge when installing the LWP lower.

Perhaps I was sucking air from the top couple side holes on the DWP lower, or maybe the LWP just moves more water. Not sure, but I'm very pleased with the results as Whipple wants the engine to run around 150 degrees.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Interesting.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 359 Likes on 147 Posts

Thats common.

If you feel like testing, What are the WOT speeds if you drill and tap the 4 holes in the nose and put plugs in them? (thread in allen plugs) Then tap or plug the top 1st hole, then second hole to see where water temps are, they should stabilize. Sometimes its only the first hole.

In most V, Step V it picks up 2-3 mph and you can usually straighten out the side water pickup temp problem by filling the top 2 holes. This was common on Fountains due to drive height & pulling aerated water.

Or leave it alone and go boating...
Old 05-06-2021, 11:21 AM
Registered

I read about guys losing MPH on top with the LWP. I'd have to do more testing with the other DWP lower to confirm that. At this point I think I'll just go boating!
Old 05-07-2021, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 173 Likes on 109 Posts

I closed off the upper 2 holes and opened up the bottom holes and ported them to grab more water. Works for me, I can run 80+ for miles and I don't go over 160 which is my thermostat temp.
The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 05:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin View Post
I closed off the upper 2 holes and opened up the bottom holes and ported them to grab more water. Works for me, I can run 80+ for miles and I don't go over 160 which is my thermostat temp.
I should do that to my DWP lower so I have a good spare.