Two blown drives - mystery >

Two blown drives - mystery

Notices

Two blown drives - mystery

Old 05-19-2021, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two blown drives - mystery

Twin diesel boat, been running b2x drives for years, generally with about 1k hrs before issues. Just had major failures in both new B2x 1.81 drives (bought last season) with about 100 hrs. The failures happened a few days apart, one on each side. Both drives felt like they cavitated. I thought I had hit a stick or something. After backing up and checking things, I was able to proceed and run for about a half hour before major failures occurred. One has sheared gears and a twisted input spline. The other drive has a broken shaft just above the coupler. Both were running power tech SS props and had spun hubs after the incidents. The props were both about three years old with a few thousand hours on them. Neither myself nor my Merc mechanic have ever seen this before. I am wondering if the prop hubs spun, caught, and then spun again doing the damage, or if the damage spun the hubs. I’d like to know. Something put an enormous shock on the drives. I’ve checked everything I can check and everything on the boat side seems ok. Alignment and couplers are good. Any ideas? This comes after a terrible ordeal switching to BXR diesel drives... I’m now running my old backups which seem flawless.

Last edited by offshorefisher; 05-19-2021 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 05-19-2021, 11:36 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

No damage to the blades? Something stoping prop rotation could do it.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No damage

Props are flawless aside from spun hubs