Notices

Surface drives

Old 09-09-2021, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
very, very... VERY expensive. you gain less drag in the water, higher top end, higher efficiency, however the parts are CRAZY priced, props are the cost of your left arm, right foot, and first born. Parts are also not plentiful. Acceleration is slower. docking is much more difficult I'm told.

I'm gonna stick with my Bravo 1st since I can get parts anywhere from ebay to amazon and walmart. summer is too short to wait on parts...

but if you have the funds, and really want to go fast, go for it!
How can you say acceleration is slower ?
Old 09-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by green lightning
How can you say acceleration is slower ?
I think he means 'hole shot'. Because they cavitate/ventilate when you hit the throttle, they are somewhat slower (depending on prop) than a sterndrive from a standing stop, but with a little practice, I got my Kaamas up within about a second of the sterndrive, but made up the distance fast!!! Acceleration once hooked up? Awesome!
Old 09-09-2021, 08:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Do you realize that the cost of doing the conversion to surface drives would cost more than the boat will ever be worth?? Like 40-50k???
Old 09-10-2021, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CDShack
I think he means 'hole shot'. Because they cavitate/ventilate when you hit the throttle, they are somewhat slower (depending on prop) than a sterndrive from a standing stop, but with a little practice, I got my Kaamas up within about a second of the sterndrive, but made up the distance fast!!! Acceleration once hooked up? Awesome!
Most of the time when you hole shot a bravo drive with any kind of power you stop accelerating real quick
The following 7 users liked this post by green lightning:
CDShack (09-13-2021), endeavor1 (09-10-2021), Keith Atlanta (09-13-2021), phragle (09-11-2021), SB (09-11-2021), Unlimited jd (09-10-2021), Wildman_grafix (09-13-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by green lightning
Most of the time when you hole shot a bravo drive with any kind of power you stop accelerating real quick

Haha! TOUCHÉ😂

That's why im running an xr drive with 310hp😂 full throttle sends!
Old 09-11-2021, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Surface drives are going to provide slower acceleration until the prop ventilates. A surface drive is meant to have half the prop out of water. So when the prop is submerged it is like starting a car in second gear. That is why you see vent tubes for some surface drives. It helps reduce the bite of the prop and is like putting it in low gear.

Surface drives are good for high speeds and efficiency
Old 09-13-2021, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SasquatchWA
I’m looking to learn more about surface drives, I’ve been all threw out google going down a bunch of warm holes but really not coming up with solid info on how I would acquire a set..

Yes I have also used the search here on this forum

thanks for any help
As you already have heard from this site, a lot of great feedback. Im in the middle of an installation of the 7m drives. But I have a big heavy boat that should never have come with bravos. 47', 19k lbs, and B3s. I choose the Arenesons as they reduce the need to alter the engine placement for those who are currently using a bravo variant. First, they are way expensive new and used! More than your boat may be worth, so keep this in mind. They are much more durable, but when they break, have some cash available. They are slow out of the hole, but you can add vent pipes to solve that. Props are not cheap! And you will add 54" of drive off your transom.
If your boat is weighs less than 5k PER DRIVE, I would suggest staying with bravo's (find some good X drives, or IMCOs, etc with the big prop shafts). Bravos are good as long as your boat is light enough. I had a 31' with twin B1s, and 502smags. Stepped on the mags a little with computers, injectors, and headers. Never had an issue, but she was a balsa cored hull and total dry weight was 5800 lbs. With that low of a drive loading, and a little bit of careful throttle action, I never had a drive issue. in 690 hours of fun. I even launched her a few times (whew, lucky me though). You can replace your Bravos a couple of times or even go with some of the bigger drives that are available and still beat the Arneson drive costs. For a big boat like mine, surface drives are the only real option. For you, please do your research.

Good luck!
jeff
The following users liked this post:
SasquatchWA (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by justfishing
Surface drives are going to provide slower acceleration until the prop ventilates. A surface drive is meant to have half the prop out of water. So when the prop is submerged it is like starting a car in second gear. That is why you see vent tubes for some surface drives. It helps reduce the bite of the prop and is like putting it in low gear.

What is the example that you are using to compare the slower acceleration too ?
Old 09-13-2021, 12:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 256 Likes on 111 Posts

Arneson require a 18 inch prop to get on plane, I am happy with my set up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drake22.250:
CDShack (09-13-2021), SasquatchWA (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by justfishing

I reach up and get about 4k rpm. Mine start off ventilating, then one prop 'grabs' and drops RPM, so I throttle that side up and about that time the other prop 'grabs' and I throttle it up and away we go! I've got it down now, as I said, where I can fiddle and feel the boat and drives, and can come out of the hole pretty quick. Mine are Kaama, and I have several friends with them and they act the same. If you have Arneson's, I noticed several with the ventilator tubes. They may act differently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.