Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Volvo Penta DPX lower end gear >

Volvo Penta DPX lower end gear

Notices

Volvo Penta DPX lower end gear

Old 09-25-2023, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a DPX-A. Fresh water 90% of the time. U joints show no rust. I believe the drive is free of any water as the oil looks good and level is perfect. The seal going to the bearings at the bell housing is my concern. My local service shop is wanting to pull the to pull the motor to service/replace the bearings if needed. Innovation Marine has indicated they have had success replacing the bearings without pulling the motor 75% of the time. My local service shop is very accommodating but I do not want to pull the motor if the bearings do not require replacement. I am in SoCal.
Thank you for getting back with me Scarabman
Old 09-26-2023, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

I would think the bearing is likely fine. That said, if you are suspect of it, and it has never been changed, possibly better safe than sorry? Avoiding damaging the drive would be high on the list of priorities for a good reason, so confirming the bearing is good might be wise.

Mine were changed without pulling engines.

I would consider Innovation to be very high, if not the top DPX authority at this point. I know of 1 other guy in MD that I would trust, but he wont work on them anymore, as parts sourcing became a full time job
Old 09-27-2023, 12:40 AM
Registered

There is a one boat service center our her that was really familiar with the DPX. He too stopped working on them for the same reason.
Thank you!
Old 02-08-2024, 02:11 PM
Registered

Default Volvo Penta DPX lower drive gears

I know I'm on old threads, but I've been watching any info on DPX DRIVES. I even bought a couple a drives from a member her that lives in Canada. They turned out to have bad lower gears, so I wasted my money. Anyway. I've been going from gear manufacturer to gear manufacturer, trying to get one to reproduce the lower pinion gear set and in 1.47 ratio. I talked with some high up's at Volvo. They found and sent me the drawings to build new gears. I have been at this for about 18 months. I now have a price to build them and a guarantee to be free from defect, He will not, however, warranty them due to the fact that there mostly going behind high horse motors. mine has twin HP600 DPX-A drives. I had one brand new OEM set of gears for reference as well. I am getting ready to order a quantity as yet to be determined. The gear Manufacturer came with strong references from at least 5 others in his line of business. I don't know how many of these drives are still out there, but until now, there was no option other than a $50k conversion to bravo's. I'm gonna give this post a couple weeks to run and then order what I need. There is a minimum I have to order, thus I'm posting these in classifieds and on a competitor or 2's site.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Are you having just the pinion gear reproduced, or the full lower gearset? A guy down in La. has a need, if you havent contacted him yet, check the Scarab section.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:55 AM
Registered

sets of 3. . Not just the pinion gear
Old 02-10-2024, 10:56 AM
Registered

I'm farely green at offshoreonly, but I'll try looking for the scarab section. I am having the full sets made.