2000 maxum 2800 scr- considering converting down to alpha gens 2 twin 4.3s >

2000 maxum 2800 scr- considering converting down to alpha gens 2 twin 4.3s

Notices

2000 maxum 2800 scr- considering converting down to alpha gens 2 twin 4.3s

Old 05-25-2023, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 2000 maxum 2800 scr- considering converting down to alpha gens 2 twin 4.3s

Hi - just acquired a 2000 maxum for a nice price. Came with bravo (2s i think?) - the transoms are a little toast.. since its only pushing 2 4,3s im wondering if swapping to gen2 setups would work fine? I have a bunch of gens 2 stuff all over the shop, from the inner transom plates to the outside..

shd be fine yeah? only issue is possibly locating a counter rotating gen2 lower (sei last resort honestly...)

other than that the alphas should hold up ok with the twin 4.3s pushing the boat, or is is a little heavy / big for 2 gen 2's? Think bravos also have more parasitic drag in the larger gears etc..

thoughts gentleman?
Old 06-04-2023, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Couple things…
1. Are your motors modified?
1.5- if they’re modded, what are the mods?
2. How many hours on the bravo’s?
Old 06-04-2023, 11:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I assume you mean the transom assemblies are toast. First thing is determine what drives you have. If they are Bravo 2's then they will be much deeper than an Alpha would be and you could have handling issues or trouble getting on plane. Alpha would be plenty strong enough for any 4.3. You would need to install shift interrupt switches to run the Alpha's and would want to remove the raw water seapumps that are on the engines now.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi - sorry somehow missed the notifications. Motors are std. They are actually running gr8. Just finishing up the second ones manifolds today. I have bravo 2 drives, I have a 4 blade 18 pitch Signature big cow from a job 3 years ago, and hill marine down the road can supply a counter rot one for me, so i think i will stick to the bravo 2 setups for now. They are actually in better shape than I thought. I do have a spare B2 in really good condition - the stbd one has some weight reduction going on.. dont really want to tear into the steering pins and things right now, just want to fish and enjoy the boat. Its me and the wifes first "comfortable" cruiser at around 30ft, so looking fwd to being able to overnight with less rolling than our 22 small searay.

I wasnt really sure about the condition till I cleaned the drives up. Some pititng on the stbd gimbal ring too - hopefully itll hold thru summer! If i had to pull the 4.3s for any reason id prob port the heads a bit but for now stock.. might consider a holley sniper conversion in the future. Upgraded one customers stock 454 and took it out last week, im a 100% carb guy, but I do have to say the on tap power of the efi is nothing like a carb, plus we picked up 10mph after the sniper conversion! Might def give those 4.3s some extra pep for the big boat in front of them.