Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Multi Media Gallery > Eaton Photos
OPA/ St. Clair Race Results >

OPA/ St. Clair Race Results

Notices

OPA/ St. Clair Race Results

Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Smokey, Thats a great Offshore video- but I didn't see any deck to deck racing??? At least the way its run now-there is deck to deck racing-just check out class 5, 10 boats within 15 seconds of each other.
Since you're a NASCAR fan, I'm sure you realized NASCAR's popularity exploded when the rules were tightened for more "bumper to bumper" racing.
I do agree with your point about calling it "Offshore Racing". However-there were plenty of races run on flat water back in the day-Detriot River, Tampa Bay, Hudson River and Lake St. Clair. Back in the late 1970's, Sammy James got flack for calling lake Erie a "Midwestern Mud Puddle"-so even back than there were calm water venues.
I think OPA has a good mix of races, 3 ocean races-Ocean City/ Sunny Isles Florida/ Atlantic City, 2 calm water races-Harrison/St. Clair and two bay races-Patchogue/ Solomon Island Md., and their championship races (which was cancelled) in the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 07-27-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

My 2 cents.. I am one of those volunteers, though I am not speeking for any other volunteer, race orgination etc.

there were 4 races, yes that makes for a long day. A long day of racing. In general with the economy etc... boat counts have been down, Sunday I watched almost 50 boats race and saw some incredible battles, I saw some passionate protests and heard arguments after the race, and saw some bruised boats....

HELL YES!!!!!!!! PEOPLE ARE RACING AGAIN!!! PEOPLE ARE PUTTING THERE BOATS, WALLETS AND HEARTS INTO RACING AGAIN!!!!!

It was a long day, I go to watch races and hopefully not have to put any band aids on. I do NOT go to a race so that I can hope to get home intime to see the evening news, I go to see racing and I saw a LOT of it this weekend. I saw a town overwhelmed by boats, racers, support people and fans who got a full day/weekend of racing. The town, the sponsors, the racers and the fans got their moneys worth. Given some races have gone off in the last 2 years with 12 boats total, i would much rather hear people say "Damn, that was a long day!" than hear them say "WTF, I went to a boat race, there was a couple boats, it was over in 45 minutes and was boring"

Sunday was a gift from the racing gods, if you didnt see it as such, maybe your just not into boat racing.

Again this is my view, not those of anyone else, any orginzation etc.....
Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a fan of all types of racing, I agree with Phragle 100%.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

If the current racing is so much more exciting, then why is it that you see hours and hours of video of offshore racing from the past, but almost no footage of the new racing style?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

The guys up here have done a phenomenal job with St.Clair and the entire week including Harrison Twp. and the Wednesday run.

Hats off to everyone involved!!!! I wish we were able to pull off being in St. Clair as a corporation and really missed being there.

CONGRATS TO ALL INVOLVED!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
If the current racing is so much more exciting, then why is it that you see hours and hours of video of offshore racing from the past, but almost no footage of the new racing style?
Reality. It cost less back then (insurance etc) and there was a lot of money floating around from various sources. Unless you know of a couple people that are going to back a semi in loaded with small bills, in todays economy you need sponsors.

who paid for all that old footage???
Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Reality. It cost less back then (insurance etc) and there was a lot of money floating around from various sources. Unless you know of a couple people that are going to back a semi in loaded with small bills, in todays economy you need sponsors.

who paid for all that old footage???
Most of the footage was provided by NNRT. They set the standard. They sold stills and videos to racers and fans. It was a business for them.

Freeze Frame, who was around back then is still around today. I believe Jeff still shoots video at the races. Or does he just do stills? If he does shoot video, how come small samples of these exciting races never seem to end up on youtube? Wouldn't that be a great way to promote the sport? I know that P-1 does exactly that. Don't they even have a youtube channel? The more exposure, the better.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smokey - Im just curious ... how many races have you been to in the last little while? What was the last race you were at?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

If I remember right, Smokey and the Bandit ran (APBA-the only game at that time) during the early/mid 1980's. He had a great looking cat, I think a 30 Cris Cat with small blocks.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

Smokey,I do see your point.But this thread was started as St.Clair results.Your concerns would make a good thread on its own.Being under this heading I think people are connecting it with the St.Clair race which I'm sure was not your intention.I think "Offshore Racing" is just stereotypical of our style of boats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.