Favorite Poweboating Apps >

Favorite Poweboating Apps

Notices

Favorite Poweboating Apps

Old 12-13-2013, 02:25 AM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Favorite Poweboating Apps

What's everyone's favorite boating apps, and why?

[HR][/HR]

I've found this little chart plotter app from Navionics pretty handy, especially when boating outside of cell service. It downloads the maps and stores them locally on your phone or tablet, so it doesn't require an internet connection to function like Google Maps/Earth. You can however overlay Goggle Earth images on top when you do have cell service. That's a pretty cool feature. Includes other nice features like search, tide charts, bookmark your locations, and the ability to tag photos for others. Plus displays your GPS heading and speed on the screen while running.

Can be a little tricky to understand the menus at first, but contains the main things ya really need like depth, nav markers, and landmarks such as marinas or boat ramps for about anywhere your gonna be in the US. Also contains a nice "track" feature that allows ya to save your running data to review on a PC based map later. Or at minimum, for following your day track back to the ramp in the pitch dark. Found that part extremely useful this summer on our first trip to Lake Cumberland, returning the 20 or so miles to Burnside ramp from State Dock after dark..

It's no high dollar plotter, but works fine in a pinch for under $10

--
p.s. can someone with admin rights put the R in power under the title please...

Last edited by kidturbo; 12-13-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

That's the only one I have and I think it works pretty well for what it cost!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Registered

Default Radar Now

Here is another useful app for out on the water.

Radar Now is simply a free doppler radar app. Soon as you open it up, puts your current location at the center of the radar screen based off the GPS. So if your out boating and see storm clouds on the horizon, it gives ya the animated radar view of where you are right now, not where you last checked conditions like most other weather apps.

Second nice feature I've found is the NWS Alerts. Again based on your GPS location, it provides pop up alerts when severe weather is approaching. That's something I think every boater can appreciate...

From the developer.

Weather radar in your pocket! Use RadarNow! to quickly see an animated radar image and current conditions! No digging through menus to see if a storm is on the way!

RadarNow! provides National Weather Service (NWS) Enhanced Radar "Base" (N0R) images from the NOAA WSR-88D NEXRAD Radar sites located around the U

NWS Alerts included with the free mode starting in v4.0. Only alerts issued to the your current county are sent and the alerts can be filtered so only the ones that interest you are used.

Android Link
Itunes Link

Last edited by kidturbo; 12-23-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U nailed it. Those are the two I use. Navionics on I pad, radar now on phone.....
Old 12-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I use my radar and wind finder. Great apps
Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

West Marine

US Tides

SeaTow

Marine Tech 101

Topend Free

Marine Tuner

Marine Weather by Accuweather
Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out www.fishweather.com or search for their app. One of the best winds apps that I could find and is very accurate.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I like MX Mariner . It is a full feature GPS/Plotter app. 9.99. works great.

Chris
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used that Navionics app on an Andriod phone? I have read that some of the features are not available.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by illMATTic
Has anyone used that Navionics app on an Andriod phone? I have read that some of the features are not available.
I switched to a Samsung S3 last year from an Iphone and don't recall anything major missing. It was a bit cheaper when purchased for the Android and I added these two free apps that I run with it.

* No Screen Lock disables the automatic screen timeout / lock feature that's seems to be missing in the Android version with a single icon click.
* Screen Filter further dims the back lighting or shades the screen to an acceptable level for night running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.