Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
What is this? Are some Mercury engines CANBUS? >

What is this? Are some Mercury engines CANBUS?

Notices

What is this? Are some Mercury engines CANBUS?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this? Are some Mercury engines CANBUS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-84-8...670a15&vxp=mtr
Old 01-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Not big on manuals for that cable are they ? The simple answer to your question is YES. But to maybe understand what that cable does we need to understand a bit more detail about how all this data stuff stacks up.

Basically CAN bus is a message-based protocol, designed specifically for automotive applications but now also used in other areas such as aerospace, maritime, industrial automation and medical equipment. There are several CAN physical layer and other standards, most commonly used today in the automotive world is J1939. The SAE J1939 standard uses a two-wire twisted pair, −11 has a shield around the pair while −15 does not. SAE 1939 defines also application data and is widely used in heavy-duty (truck) and autobus industry as well as in agricultural & construction equipment.

As the CAN standard does not include tasks of application layer protocols, such as flow control, device addressing, and transportation of data blocks larger than one message, and above all, application data, many implementations of higher layer protocols were created. Several are standardized for a business area, although all can be extended by each manufacturer. For passenger cars, each manufacturer has its own standard. Among these implementations are a J1939 application layer in automotive, and for marine typically this is NEMA 2000 which also uses special locking watertight connectors.

For a more detailed explanation on CAN and NMEA2000 see these links where I snagged those description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J1939

So, CANbus equals the physical layer description and what type wiring SHOULD be use, while NMEA 2000 describes the application layer protocols for marine industry. I try to think of these differences in basic computer terms. A standard serial connection was originally only the RS-232 port, but now ya have USB. Both are connections to the PC serial bus. So Modern computers without serial ports may require serial-to-USB converters to allow compatibility with RS 232 serial devices. That's basically what I believe that cable does....

Also, here is the only information I found related to that engine adapter cable. Fits some model Merc engine, but no idea what specific models or years it's designed for.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...-confused.html

Hope that helps.

-K

Last edited by kidturbo; 01-29-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the CAN open; as if a 1939 (NMEA2k) capable radio when plugged in with the right cables will receive signals and read channels?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

The data is there. The question is the format and protocols.

Steve
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

smiklos - Do you know if it is as simple as connecting the correct cables, it seems like there is an interface box required inbetween the ECM and whatever device will be used for display?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

No if my interpretation is correct the data format of smartcraft is unique
Steve