stereo amp upgrade

Notices

stereo amp upgrade

Old 01-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyb
I sell Alpine and Arc Audio. We've been VERY impressed with the Arc amps up to this point. The XDi is a great price point, and powerful.

Wet Sounds Hydro-Tech line is another one we sell, and sell a lot of.
Arc & Alpine are pretty close dollar for watt, which amp in your opinion is better.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pstorti
I really like the Wetsounds amps but they are not built anywhere near as well as the JL products same for the speakers. If you don't boat in the salt then it doesn't matter but if you do nothing is better than JL. I have replaced two M600/6 with two SD6 amps and added some speakers to handle the additional power but if you take both apart the difference in quality is clear. I realize the SD6 is not entry level but neither is a 47 Lightning, and to only have one amp instead of two or three is much better.
I've got a pic of a JL 6.5 with rust around the tweeter in the grill. If I had access to my phone, I'd post it up. I'll try to remember this later. I've been installing Wet Sounds amps and speakers for 8 years. I've had a couple customers that just HAD to have JL, mostly only to add onto what they already had. The XS-650's and XS-808's sounded a lot better than the JL M Series by far. In most boats I use the Syndicate amps, sometimes the Sinister - depending on the customers budget. Over the years - in my area - JL is phased out. I do one boat (at a marina or in my shop), and the next guy dumps his JL's (that may have came OEM) for the Wet Sounds.

JL Audio reminds me of Blose. Whored out by Paul Harvey. I'm not saying they don't make quality amps and speakers, but people blindly buy them based on the name alone. The best option is to hear it for yourself.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ozarkdevil
Arc & Alpine are pretty close dollar for watt, which amp in your opinion is better.

I'm a dealer for Alpine, but have never sold their amps. I use a lot of Arc, but mostly the XDi series. Weve been very impressed with the newest generation of Arc's XDi line. A guy that helps me in the shop (has been in this industry since 1984) smiles and talks about how impressed with them he is. He was in car audio when Linear Power and Orion was hot. The Punch 150 was another one that was impressive, so for a dinosaur like my friend to say that about an entry level line - says a lot.

However, we sell those for most car installs. If you don't need a marine grade amp, Arc has the KS series also, lots of guys use those in wakeboat installs. The KS is designed by Robert Zeff. The Wet Sounds Syndicate line is also designed by him, has the same processor, but adds a coated board and stainless shroud. They've got a 300.2, 600.2, and 1200.1. I run a 300.2 and 1200.1 on my display.

Before I recommend what's best, I'd need to know your budget. I see above what you're powering, but like pstorti said, you mentioned entry level amps to go into a boat that's obviously above that level.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I've got a pic of a JL 6.5 with rust around the tweeter in the grill. If I had access to my phone, I'd post it up. I'll try to remember this later. I've been installing Wet Sounds amps and speakers for 8 years. I've had a couple customers that just HAD to have JL, mostly only to add onto what they already had. The XS-650's and XS-808's sounded a lot better than the JL M Series by far. In most boats I use the Syndicate amps, sometimes the Sinister - depending on the customers budget. Over the years - in my area - JL is phased out. I do one boat (at a marina or in my shop), and the next guy dumps his JL's (that may have came OEM) for the Wet Sounds.

JL Audio reminds me of Blose. Whored out by Paul Harvey. I'm not saying they don't make quality amps and speakers, but people blindly buy them based on the name alone. The best option is to hear it for yourself.
Wet sounds doesn't have a good mono amp for subs, do they? All I see is the HT 1 = 600 watts
Old 01-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Registered

Syn2 and SD2.

They had the Syn1 - 1000W mono @ 1 ohm, but discontinued it. A supplier issue I believe.

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SD2.html
1250W mono at 4 ohms

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN2_spec.html
700W mono at 4 ohms

Also, you can look at retail, but that's with anything else. A local dealer will be better for pricing those. I sell most of their products for a little less to local crowds.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Before I recommend what's best, I'd need to know your budget. I see above what you're powering, but like pstorti said, you mentioned entry level amps to go into a boat that's obviously above that level.
My budget depends on how much I like something, with in reason.
Entry level amps, I have heard some kick a$$ Alpine systems and pretty sure Arc Audio isn't entry level.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Registered

The XDi is entry level. KS is the next step up.

I could name a hundred different combinations of amps between the brands......

SD4 to power the 4 pair of coax's, SD2 for the10's (that depends on the impedance of what you have though)
Syn4 and Syn2
(2) Arc 300.2's, 1 1200.1
Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

I haven't seen much Arc audio or wet sounds where I live in Florida, that's not saying much, it just hasn't made it this far, don't even know of a dealer in my area. Not disagreeing with the above comments, but I have no issue with JL audio, several years of boating in fl sun and salt water, plus a 5 yr old and mine still sounds good.
Going to look into arc audio though, would love to see one and hear it play.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Registered

Punch class D marine amps. Small efficient clear and powerful
Old 01-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THe SD6 would be great, but he mentioned entry-level amps, and the SD6 is far from that.

The XS-808 and XS-650 (in my book) are a better buy then the JL Audio speakers. Same or better quality, they just don't the hype that JL Audio does. There are a lot more options out there that are better than JL.
This statement surprises me, I have heard them all and the JL's destroy the others. I couldnt afford them but wish I could. If money were not an object I would only use jl speakers and amps. They simply sound way better in the open environment of a boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.