Recommend me a new stereo...

Notices

Recommend me a new stereo...

Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Recommend me a new stereo...

Want to replace the stereo system in my 47 Fountain. Current system doesn't really sound very good and someone hacked the radio to bypass the tuner to wire in an aux port. Here's the current setup that I would like to replace.

Receiver is a Kenwood KTS-300MR, amplifier is a Kenwood KAC-6404 and there is also a CD changer in the galley cabinet which I will never use. There are 6 Kenwood 6.5" speakers and a 10" subwoofer in the cockpit and 2 more 6.5" speakers in the cabin. The receiver is in the cabin and there is a remote controller on the dash. On the top right panel of my dash, there is a mini-jack port for me to connect an iPod / MP3 player and there's also one in the cabin right under the receiver. I like the idea of having this so I can control the tunes from the helm so I would like to somehow keep this. To complicate matters, the speakers and subwoofer in the cockpit are installed under metal Fountain logo grilles (see picture, lower right), which I'd also like to keep if possible, but not essential. I will probably have to leave the current remote controller in the dash because it is an odd size and the dash was cut to accommodate it..

Ok pros... tell me what to get.. looking for good quality sound at a reasonable price, no specific budget but don't want to spend astronomical amounts either. I boat in salt water.

Thanks, Neil

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537731[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Recommend me a new stereo...-image.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Some more pictures of the speaker grilles..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537732[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537734[/ATTACH]

Last edited by HyFive578; 02-27-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holy cow thats a lot of boat and speakers for a kenwood head unit and amp .imo even thier old school stuff wasnt up to par.if it was me i would put a good alternator on the front motor tie it to a battery under the drivers floor locker and put a couple of good unregulated old school amps in locker behind drivers helm .might make the rest of what you have come alive . And it would be cheap.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

thanks airjunky, but I want to ditch the receiver and amp and I think the speakers have seen better days as well... would really like to start fresh. I also don't have a lot of places to put the gear. Right now, the receiver is flushmounted in the galley and the amp is under the sink. I would like to put the new stuff in those same spots.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Neil,

I am currently doing my stereo as well. I had (8) 6.5", (8) 1' tweets, and (2) 10" subs. After hearing the new JL audio 8.8", I am tossing all that junk and going with (4) 8.8", (2) 10" jl subs, a jl 800x8 amp for 8.8's bridged and a 600 x2 bridged for subs. The head unit will be a fusion and I will have two remotes. The fusion will communicate with your garmin if you like that kind of stuff. This stereo will pretty much blow everything out of the water but it aint cheap. The fusion is cool because it has true wifi not blue tooth so you can control the radio on your iphone. The make a large remote which will probably cover the hole in your dash.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Registered

The mini jack port will work with your new radio I am sure. if not, they are 60.00 for new ones which have a USB.
http://www.jlaudio.com/xmc-usb-3-5mm...mounting-90366
Old 02-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks Joe... I want to stick with the same sizes and quantities. I don't want to have to cut additional or widen any holes. Can you tell me model #'s you are using and forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "bridged" ??

and which fusion receiver?
thx
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by joew.
The mini jack port will work with your new radio I am sure. if not, they are 60.00 for new ones which have a USB.
http://www.jlaudio.com/xmc-usb-3-5mm...mounting-90366
Yes, I'm pretty sure the current mini jack will work. I just have to rewire it. The one at the helm is spliced to the one in the cabin and then it was hacked into the receiver and the tuner disabled. It always sounds muffled and nasal and the radio doesn't work. I do like the mini jack / USB combo though..
Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Thanks Joe... I want to stick with the same sizes and quantities. I don't want to have to cut additional or widen any holes. Can you tell me model #'s you are using and forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "bridged" ??

and which fusion receiver?
thx
I am not a huge stereo guy either but basically they take an amp which makes 800 watts x 8 speakers, and connect each speaker to two locations, doubling the watts into the speaker.

I think this fusion.
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Fusion-IP...FQ4vaQodsYMAdg

My stereo guy is just making the holes bigger for the new speakers. Definitely listen to them before you make a decision. JL also makes a 6.5" which sounds great, just not near the 8.8. You can always do some 6.5" and other 8.8". They will match.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 AM
Registered

Here is a remote. It is pretty cool, when you connect to your garmin it will also become a depth finder, speed, etc. on your dash.
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Fusion-NR...ote-P3068.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.