Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
Help! Garmin Install, Smartcraft to NEMA2000 question. >

Help! Garmin Install, Smartcraft to NEMA2000 question.

Notices

Help! Garmin Install, Smartcraft to NEMA2000 question.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Your Welcome. Glad I could help..
Old 06-24-2015, 06:23 PM
CAB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Scagburner;4298268]I need help installing this unit.

I’m installing a new Garmin 741XS in my 36’ Sunsation. The GPS install is pretty straight forward but I then decided to integrate the engine data into the Garmin. I ordered a NEMA2000 Gateway, and backbone starter kit. Once I opened the dash, I realized there is no J-Box in the boat, due to the custom wiring harness, so I ordered a J-Box and a short Mercury double female 10 pin harness to use to make my connections.

If I understand this correctly, I will need to use the following wires in my new harness to plug into the J-Box.
• Red – Battery
• Violet – Switched Power
• Black – Ground
• Blue – CAN-Hi
• White – CAN-Lo

The boat already has the Livorsi Vantage View Tachometers so the CAN Hi & L0 (Smartcraft data) wires run to gauges in the dash. I assume I can just tap the Smartcraft data at the back of the tachs, run it through into my custom plugs to the J-Box.

Does this sound correct or should I throw in the towel and start selling the spare parts??

Thanks in advance.
John[/QUO
I want to hook my smartcraft and Garmin together also. I guess this would be what I would need also.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Yes.

I believe John was able to connect directly into the smartcraft network plugs on the engines. Used the Jbox to connect the two engines and gateway together under the hatch. From the engine bay, ran a single NMEA network cable up to the dash with a Tee and terminator at each end. One quick change to an engine assignment on Merc end, and all done. Maybe he has some picture to share.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:43 PM
CAB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Yes.

I believe John was able to connect directly into the smartcraft network plugs on the engines. Used the Jbox to connect the two engines and gateway together under the hatch. From the engine bay, ran a single NMEA network cable up to the dash with a Tee and terminator at each end. One quick change to an engine assignment on Merc end, and all done. Maybe he has some picture to share.
Thanks, I thought it would all be connected in dash.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually had to make the connections in the dash. The network plugs back at the engines wasn't what I though they were. I added a J-box, gateway, NMEA starter kit and a short Mercury harness to power the J-box and pick up the CAN h and CAN l wires right off the backs of my Lavorsi Vantage View tachs. With Ken's help, it wasn't as bad as I thought...

CAB - I would be willing to bet that your 2014 already has the J-box in the dash with at least one terminator cap. You should pull your upper dash panel and look for the J-box as pictured below. If this is the case, yours will be plug and play with the addition of a Gateway. You may still need to change the PORT engine assignment to "PORT" since Merc's factory default is Starboard on all engines. This is a simple two minute job with a scan tool.

On a side note, I still have a small issue with the power source. Since I built the wiring harnesses for the J-box, one of my wires needed to be switched power (which I took right off the back of the ignition switch). Halfway through the first day out, the port engine would start and the starter would stay engaged as soon as I turned the key one click. I ended unhooking that wire until I get a diode for it (which I hope is this weekend). It's been tough to do this since the boat is now located in the garage at the lake and it's rained 12+ inches this month... Hopefully this weekend...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542656[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Help! Garmin Install, Smartcraft to NEMA2000 question.-img_20150427_170855822_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by Scagburner; 06-30-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Scan tool NMEA

[QUOTE=Scagburner;4304155]Yes – I finished it and everything seems to be working fine in the garage. I hope to try it on the water this weekend and get some good photos to post.

As you said earlier, it can be somewhat intimidating but actually, not so bad once you have a basic understanding of CANbus.

I was really disappointed once I thought I had everything wired correctly and the Garmin displayed the live data (RPM, temps, pressures, etc) on both sets of gauges no matter which engine was running but that turned out to be an easy fix. Mercury ships all engines set to the factory default of STARBOARD regardless of quantity or position in the boat. I needed to connect my scan tool to the PORT engine and rename it as PORT then everything then functioned correctly. The renaming process was very simple and took less than 2 minutes.

Once again Ken, I can’t thank you enough for your technical support through this project!

John[/QUOT

Messaged you sir….sorry I know this post is super old lol, but dealing with this exact problem right now.