How sync multiple boat stereos >

How sync multiple boat stereos

Notices

How sync multiple boat stereos

Old 04-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dstroyed
A buddy and I use the JL J link. Works pretty good and the sound quality is there. Like most wireless, placement is key. They don't go through a lot of fiberglass very well. We had to mess with positioning of the devices for best recpt. We make sure when we are out we tie up my SB to his Port to place the units close together.
The range is that bad? I wonder if the similar product WS is coming out with will be better? What do you use to go from 5v to 12v for the Jlink?
Old 04-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind the Jlink is designed for home - subs in a big room. Fiber glass seems to block wireless pretty well regardless of the type of signal.

As far as range, no it will reach quit far but if you want constant signal without it cutting out on occasion then it needs to be pretty close. At the dock we are slipped in reverse oder so the units are apox 36 ft apart, With the same fiberglass concerns and we prob have a lost signal for a few seconds an hour. Just a guess / ave knowing it cuts out several times an evening.

Jlink is 120 volt. We have generators. Sorry that a key issue i should have mentioned. I can't imagine they pull much an inverter would prob work quit easy. The 120 is converted down to a few volts, no sure how many. I don't have an idea how to regulate 12v to match the prop voltage it needs.

Not saying this is the best solution. It is just the one we found that was reasonably priced, easy to set up and works pretty well for us. YMMV.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Registered

I do like the idea of individual volumes. I also like the idea wireless. I haven't found a solution for both. For us with Cruisers, we have too many people walking around to have cables running across the boats t/f wireless trumps.

No clue on the WS product. I am sure it will be something to consider. Just have to see.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Registered

The Jlink power supply converts 120V AC to 5V DC. Its a shame JL didn't make them run on 12V DC then it would be easy to setup on a boat for those not equipped with a generator or 120v power. I surprised the wireless signal is that poor. I have Garmin 7616's with internal wifi and I can connect to them 600' away. Maybe they will work better in a boat with a more open config. Do you have them on the dash of each boat or are they buried somewhere?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Registered

Sony's new head unit the MEX-XB100BT allows you to use their SongPal app to connect to it. With SongPal, you can add multiple devices and stream audio to all of them simultaneously. It is really intended for home use where you would have several different bluetooth speakers in different rooms but I see no reason why it wouldn't work to connect to multiple MEX-XB100BT head units.

When I connect to the head unit, it looks at it as just another bluetooth speaker so in theory it should work. Of course, it would require everyone buying that head unit but at $200 I'm very impressed with it. It would be a big upgrade for most in a lot of other ways aside from the streaming capabilities.

I think I'll drop Sony an email and ask if it's technically feasible.

Here's a description of SongPal:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/hi-r...ess-multi-room
Old 04-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jstrahn
Sony's new head unit the MEX-XB100BT allows you to use their SongPal app to connect to it. With SongPal, you can add multiple devices and stream audio to all of them simultaneously. It is really intended for home use where you would have several different bluetooth speakers in different rooms but I see no reason why it wouldn't work to connect to multiple MEX-XB100BT head units.

When I connect to the head unit, it looks at it as just another bluetooth speaker so in theory it should work. Of course, it would require everyone buying that head unit but at $200 I'm very impressed with it. It would be a big upgrade for most in a lot of other ways aside from the streaming capabilities.

I think I'll drop Sony an email and ask if it's technically feasible.

Here's a description of SongPal:

http://www.sony.com/electronics/hi-r...ess-multi-room
Let me know what you find out. ...curious about this. Although the Songpal app seems to get bad reviews
Old 04-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Registered

The problem with bluetooth is the range is single digits on a boat and if someone is standing in between the two devices, no signal.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Registered

Is it really that bad in that environment? If so, why? I have a bluetooth receiver in my house and can connect my Android phone to it from any part of the house through multiple walls. It's possible the home receiver has a better bluetooth receiver in it than the head units do.

What type of head unit have you tested bluetooth with?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Registered

I have used several external BT receivers, Belkin and something else, in the past hooked up to my old Clarion CMD5. If I stood behind the helm seats facing away from the stereo with my body in-between signal would cut out. As long as I was facing I could walk all around the boat. I now have a Fusion UD750 and same story. But with the Fusion I just leave an old iPhone in the dock as my library and control everything with the Garmin chart plotters or Garmin Helm app over wireless which works great.

Works great from here

And even from here!

Last edited by pstorti; 04-20-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...where is that....I want to go boating there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.