Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
Headunit Reccomendation >

Headunit Reccomendation

Notices

Headunit Reccomendation

Old 04-06-2016, 01:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your head unit is mounted out of the elements in the cuddy, it's hard to beat the Sony MEX-XB100BT.

It has a class d amp built in that outputs a true 40 rms x 4 at 4 ohms and around 68 x 4 at 2 ohms. With that kind of power, you don't even need an amplifier for your full range speakers for a moderate setup.

The thing I REALLY like about it is that it has a phone app where you can control volume, settings, Pandora, etc. Rather than put wired remotes in the transom, get a waterproof floating case for your phone and control it from anywhere. No swimming up to the transom and reaching up over the swim platform to change volume or song...just do it from your phone while floating.

From what I've seen, there's nothing that touches it on the market right now. Youtube review and power test on the head unit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zkLwQVHxfI
Old 04-06-2016, 11:47 PM
Registered

I've used a few of the 100BT's in cabin boats before for our clients. They work really well for that, and now that they'll be using SongPal, it'll be even better. APP remote sucked.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Bill 3
My choice would be the Fusion, but that is mostly because it will interface with Garmin through what they call Fusion Link.
I am putting in a Fusion next week for exactly this reason. I think Garmin actually owns fusion
http://ph.garmin.com/news/pressroom/news20140516/

Last edited by BMBoyer; 04-07-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jonyb
I've used a few of the 100BT's in cabin boats before for our clients. They work really well for that, and now that they'll be using SongPal, it'll be even better. APP remote sucked.
Yes, SongPal makes it incredibly useful. At least for me, 80% of the time I'm listening to the stereo in my boat, I'm in the water behind it. Rather than a wired remote in the transom with limited functions, a smart phone with a waterproof floating case and SongPal gives you full control from 10 feet behind your boat.

Got everything ordered and planning to start the install next week. Four DC Gold 4" in the transom should sound great while in the water listening.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless there is some awesome reason, I've decided the JL is out, square shape is a no-go.

Since I'm in a 23' and mostly use my iPhone plotter for GPS the GPS interface is not really an important feature to me.

I also don't want a 1DIN unit, buttons are too small, I've never liked they way they look, everything looks crammed in there and the LCD's usually aren't very attractive to me.

With that said... Anyone with experience on the Clarion, Fusion or Rockford Fosgate?

Last edited by jetskidrewski; 04-20-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:27 AM
Registered

We've used the Rockford PMX2 and PMX5 a lot lately. Both work very well. the PMX5 has a single din chassis with an oversized waterproof faceplate. PMX2 is a round 3" chassis and oversized face.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Registered

Ordered the Rockford PMX-5 today. Will update upon receipt and install.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Registered

Had the Rockford installed for about a week now. Great purchase so far! The head unit is very easy to use on the surface, great interface, color screen is nice. Very happy with the PMX-5 over other options out there I considered. Any specific questions let me know.

System is: Rockford PMX-5, JL M700/5, Pair JL M6.5s, Pair JL M7.7s might consider adding a sub eventually.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:42 AM
DRP
Registered

Any updates for 2017?
Looking for a head unit that would not need to be marine because in the cuddy but looking for one with wireless remote/rf remote/Bluetooth so I don't have to run the wires all the way to the back of the boat for a remote.
How are the wireless remotes? Do they work good or is it better just better to have a wired?
I don't mind having to run a wired one for the front cockpit but would prefer wireless for the back.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Registered

Any of the Sony head units with songpal will be great. Song pal is an app that you use to control the radio, such as changing the source, radio stations, all kinds of stuff. I carry them in my store in KY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.