Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
Is SmartCraft a smart add on ..? >

Is SmartCraft a smart add on ..?

Notices

Is SmartCraft a smart add on ..?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is SmartCraft a smart add on ..?

Just wondering if adding Smart Craft to my boat before I upgrade my gauges would be a wise investment..? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

says you have a 1997 app so with that showing, Smartcraft engine compatibility did start until 2001 year models using ECM 555 and PCM 555 and of course PCM 09 and up.

So what do you have and your engines need to be smartcraft compatible for it.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Registered

I have twin 496 Mag Ho motors in the boat they are 2004 model year motors.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Bup will know for sure but I think they already have smartcraft. Are you asking if it is a good Idea to utilize that for the smartcraft gauges or display?
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...uges-displays/

Chris
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a VesselView on my 288 to use with my 496HO. It was a nice addition...being able to see any codes, as well as engine data, GPS speed, etc.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 AM
BUP
Banned

Sorry had no idea what you had for engine packages - its a guess on my part with missing info.

All MERCRUISER 496 are smartcraft compatible.

You can add all the smartcraft single gauge package or the Vessel View. I like having smartcraft and being able to monitor water pressure psi readings while driving and the rest of the digital readings especially oil pressure as well.

Last edited by BUP; 03-04-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 AM
BUP
Banned

the wave for gauge packages are on there way out for new boats. Most of the wake boats and high end High Performance boats are using no gauges but a screen display of the different manu's on the market. Most wake boats use Murphy and of course Merc uses Vessel View.

I still like gauges but it just depends on the app. I do like the newer style smartcraft gauges - the older style smartcraft gauges you could not read very well in the direct sunlite and the face of the gauges over time would get checked marks all over them. Alot of 10 year smartcraft gauges look really bad - the face of them.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

so this is my plan now that I have been thinking about it.....I talked to a guy at Mercury who gave me a ton of info on the Vessel View 4 and 7. I am thinking about re-doing my dash and eliminating all of my gauges and just flush mounting a Vessel View 7 right above the steering wheel.

Any thoughts or opinions..?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FIVEPTOHH
so this is my plan now that I have been thinking about it.....I talked to a guy at Mercury who gave me a ton of info on the Vessel View 4 and 7. I am thinking about re-doing my dash and eliminating all of my gauges and just flush mounting a Vessel View 7 right above the steering wheel.

Any thoughts or opinions..?
I am re rigging my center console right now and I am doing the same thing. A vessel view 7 right in front over the steering wheel and a Gps to the right. Thats it.

On high performance inboard applications though.....I still like a set of tachs, water and oil pressure guages.