Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
Favorite color lighting on your boat? >

Favorite color lighting on your boat?

Notices

Favorite color lighting on your boat?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Favorite color lighting on your boat?

I'm getting ready to upgrade all of the lights to leds, add more for comfort etc. My boat is white with black and silver striping and no real colors to speak of, so I can go with whatever color I want. I was going to go with blue, but then the red lights on my guages look *****in' so then I was thinking red, but then I read that red just isn't that effective for ambience as it just doesn't radiate as well as the other colors.

It's a bow rider and was thinking putting speakers in the seat bottoms facing the walkway to illuminate the floor area. I like the Wetsounds speakers with the RGB option but the grills only come in silver and I need white and don't feel like painting them, so maybe led rings are a good option?

Cheers! And if you have any pics of your own set ups then I'd love to see them.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I read that red just isn't that effective for ambience as it just doesn't radiate as well as the other colors.
Is reason Red is most popular in gauges. If you run at night, red would be my only choice for all lights. If just for show at dock, then what ever color floats your boat.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ayuh,... Yer eyes are better equipped to recover from red light, than any other color,...
Old 03-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Registered

Wow - that's interesting. It never occurred to me that there'd be a practical reason for it.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get RGB's and change the color anytime you want. But I have always felt that purple looks great in a neutral color boat.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Bondo said, red for gauges is much easier for your eyes to adjust to at night when going from looking over bow to helm.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Treads
As Bondo said, red for gauges is much easier for your eyes to adjust to at night when going from looking over bow to helm.
And looks cool as he** imo. I think that I'll keep the gauges red and do the mood lighting in blue. I have the black cup holders with the stainless ring and the blue light in them gives off kinda a black light feel to it. Disco is making a comeback, right???
Old 03-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The Navy uses Red lighting on there ships , doesnt effect your night or low light vision , Blue will almost night blind you.