Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
Ignition breaker keeps popping >

Ignition breaker keeps popping

Notices

Ignition breaker keeps popping

Old 09-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I found the alarms, tan wire, purple wires etc. If I understand you correctly. Pull the purple from ignition switch? There is a purple and purple and wire connected together at each switch. I diconnected them and nothing. I swapped the alarms and no change. I found two 20 amp relays under the dash and swapped them. No change. I disconned all the wire to the alternater and no change. Found one fuse inline on the red wire to the Mercathode. Its good. I cant see much behind the motor but appears to only be connectors. I cant make out any relays. Still searching for the problem. Could it be the fuel pump itself?
Old 09-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Pull the purple from ignition switch?
No, need to find the purple wire on the alarm and only pull the wire off of the alarm

Disconnecting the purple wire off the ignition switch keeps everything from turning ON

In the pic note that the purple wire goes to every gauge. If any one of the gauges is pulling to much current then it will pop the breaker. You mentioned you could not hear the fuel pump come on, nor hear the 2 beeps when key is turned to ON. This shows a fuse where you have a breaker.

This is what the relay should look like

Old 09-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Id disconnect the cannon plug to isolate the engine from the helm, the relays are a pita to find they are amounted on the bracket where the ecm is mounted
Old 09-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Registered

Sorry, but if the cannon plug is disconnected from the motor then there will be no power to the key or the breaker
Old 09-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Registered

This is going in a bit deeper
The main power relay (MPR) is turned on by the purple wire when the key is tuned ON. The purple wire goes from the engine harness to the EFI harness (both on the motor) in a connector which changes it from purple to a pink wire. The fuel pump is turned on by the ECM applying a ground to the fuel pump relay coil side, this happens after the MPR energizing and turning the ECM ON.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Registered

Alldodge. There was no way to simple disconnect the purple wire so it was cut. No change when the key was turned on. Swapped the 2 relays on starboard side with the 2 port side relays and again no change. Ford
Old 09-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Sorry, but if the cannon plug is disconnected from the motor then there will be no power to the key or the breaker
ya I didnt think that one through.......
Old 09-09-2018, 06:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fordf350
Alldodge. There was no way to simple disconnect the purple wire so it was cut. No change when the key was turned on. Swapped the 2 relays on starboard side with the 2 port side relays and again no change. Ford
Your saying you cut the purple wire coming off the key and the breaker still popped?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Registered

Alldodge: I found the starboard side alarm, The quarter size round one. It was surrounded by the wire bundle. Thin purple wire going in tan and purple coming out. I cut the thin purple wire and turned the key on and it still popped the breaker. I appreciate your patience in this trouble shooting even if we don't figure it out I owe you at least one beer. There is something to be said about people that know electrical issues. Ford
Old 09-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Registered

Look on top of the motor for a flat connector. Your looking for the Tan/Blue and the Purple wires. In the pic, the left is 496 and the right is the prior V8 connector, both show these wires. You may even have 2 connects, but in any case these supply main power from the key, to the ECM harness. If this connector is disconnected, then we will know if the issue is on the motor or between motor and helm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.