Shore power transformer >

Shore power transformer

Notices

Shore power transformer

Old 12-06-2020, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

what are you trying to operate? It doesnt look like a fuse will do anything, there isnt anything connected to it.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
See pictures...does it look like I just need to install fuses? What size (fuses)?
Agree, depends on what your wanting to run
First one on the right is the main fuse to feed the other 3 to the left
Old 12-06-2020, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by flat rate
what are you trying to operate? It doesnt look like a fuse will do anything, there isnt anything connected to it.
I am trying to get the shore power transformer to work as advertised. I would love to see a picture with wires attached as factory. Think I have a god schematic but a labeled picture would be IDEAL.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Registered

The cockpit 110V outlet works when shore power is attached. Now I kinda believe the system is installed and working BUT the LED (that tells me how the charging) seems to be burned out...BUT I would like to confirm.
Can someone tell me (with shore power hooked up) where to check for battery charging voltage and what the readings (volts DC) I should be seeing (depending on the selection on the Perko switch).
Thanks
Old 12-10-2020, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Should see at least 14V on the battery when charger is ON
Old 12-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

The cockpit 110V outlet works when shore power is attached. Now I kinda believe the system is installed and working BUT the LED (that tells me how the charging) seems to be burned out...BUT I would like to confirm.
Can someone tell me (with shore power hooked up) where to check for battery charging voltage and what the readings (volts DC) I should be seeing (depending on the selection on the Perko switch).
Thanks
If you do not have any factory manuals, they are available on line for free. Formula published very detailed drawings and schematics for their boats.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

You may want to upgrade the battery charging system if you are using AGM batteries. The internal resistance and voltage is slightly different than typical lead acid batteries. I use a Pro-marine dual battery set up that has different modules for different battery types.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Here are a few things that may help
  • In that panel as others have noted you have no circuits connected, the 12V+ positive (red wire) goes to the 12V bus side and there are no wires connected to the the 12v terminals
  • Black wire is the 12V-
  • You would have to determine what you wanted to run, wire it to one of the output terminals and add the correct fuse
  • You are asking about a battery charger typically a charger is 110V and has its own step down transformer to provide about 14V DC as someone else mentioned.
    • Typically a battery charger would not be 12V DC in with 14V DC out..... It is possible electrically to do this but I have never seen anyone use a buck boost transformer in a marine application
  • With all the above being said I would go to the battery charger itself and check for 110V power at the charger (input power) with the 110V breakers turned on
    • To help look at the wiring going into the charger it should be black, white and should have a green wire (ground) this would help to indicate its 110V wiring. You may have to take the cover off the charger
  • No power at the charger trace the wires back to see where they land they should land to one of the 110V breakers
I have assumed basis you posts that you have a multimeter

If you need more help send me a private message and I'll give you my number.

As a final note since your checking everything when all done make sure that the ground bus that has all your green wires landed on it actually has a green wire that goes back to your shore power plug this is critical to the safe wiring of the 110V AC power inside your boat

Last edited by Awash; 12-11-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Awash
Here are a few things that may help
  • In that panel as others have noted you have no circuits connected, the 12V+ positive (red wire) goes to the 12V bus side and there are no wires connected to the the 12v terminals
  • Black wire is the 12V-
  • You would have to determine what you wanted to run, wire it to one of the output terminals and add the correct fuse
  • You are asking about a battery charger typically a charger is 110V and has its own step down transformer to provide about 14V DC as someone else mentioned.
    • Typically a battery charger would not be 12V DC in with 14V DC out..... It is possible electrically to do this but I have never seen anyone use a buck boost transformer in a marine application
  • With all the above being said I would go to the battery charger itself and check for 110V power at the charger (input power) with the 110V breakers turned on
    • To help look at the wiring going into the charger it should be black, white and should have a green wire (ground) this would help to indicate its 110V wiring. You may have to take the cover off the charger
  • No power at the charger trace the wires back to see where they land they should land to one of the 110V breakers
I have assumed basis you posts that you have a multimeter

If you need more help send me a private message and I'll give you my number.

As a final note since your checking everything when all done make sure that the ground bus that has all your green wires landed on it actually has a green wire that goes back to your shore power plug this is critical to the safe wiring of the 110V AC power inside your boat
Thanks...I'll try to follow your advise/suggestions/tests.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks...I'll try to follow your advise/suggestions/tests.
You may have sorted this already but here is some more information
Company website that made the unit: https://www.progressivedyn.com/
Picture of another unit like yours but larger : https://www.google.com/search?q=Char...byMOVSgCT7IHxM

Looking at the larger unit you can see the circuit board for the battery charger is located behind the panel as I would bet yours is also. This would mean their is no charger by the batteries and is all located in the unit in your pictures. You can likely get it fixed either yourself or Progressive Dynamic may help but I would not charge anything but plain jane lead acid batteries on it.

Good luck with the project.