Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
JL SUB Location for 2006 Donzi 38ZR >

JL SUB Location for 2006 Donzi 38ZR

Notices

JL SUB Location for 2006 Donzi 38ZR

Old 04-21-2021, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

They did a great job. I haven’t seen anything like that on a Donzi. I have an 8” speaker about belly high mounted right behind the port and starboard front seat head rests. Hard to get high volume. I need to look into doing what you did. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2023, 11:41 AM
Registered

You around cmoore7? I sent you a message. I would love to know who built your enclosure that sits on your dash. I would like to do the same thing.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 804 Likes on 450 Posts

Jcoombs,

Have you considered Bazooka tubes?

This is an 8” 100W powered marine tube. It is plenty for us. If I wanted more, I could go with the 250W version or install another one in the other pocket. The really cool thing about it is that it takes up ZERO space that I would ever use. These pics are from the initial install, where I had it hanging from straps, which didn’t work out very well. It is now tucked up in the top of the pocket much tighter, and you can barely see it. It did take some engineering, though….

Ultimately, this bracket was painted with white FlexSeal and is not visible at all. The tube is strapped to the bracket with slip buckle straps.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 01-18-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:24 PM
Registered

That bazooka tube looks awesome and is in the best location. I bet it bumps too. Thanks so much for the pictures and information. I need to see if that would fit in my Donzi. That bracket looks very well-built. Great ideas. Thank you.

Last edited by Jcoombs; 01-18-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 804 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcoombs
That bazooka tube looks awesome and is in the best location. I bet it bumps too. Thanks so much for the pictures and information. I need to see if that would fit in my Donzi.
Jcoombs,

Notice that the hump on the Bazooka is oriented in the ~12 o'clock position, relative to the mounting orientation of the bracket. The bracket is mounted to the side panel next to the rear seat, with the "hooks" pointed away from the cockpit. The hump on the Bazooka is tucked way up under the gunwale.

Yes, it bumps pretty good. It won't light up the whole cove, but that's not why I spend my money. It can be too loud to be comfortable in the cockpit, but we can hear it plenty well enough while we're laying in the water, drinks in our hands.

I initially had it strapped to the floor under the sundeck, behind the battery. The problem with that was that it make the entire transom area of the boat rattle and hum, and didn't sound very good at all. I had to rethink that, or the wife was gonna make me ditch it.

The really cool thing about the Bazooka is that it is a self-contained unit. Run power to it. Run a mono RCA to it from the subwoofer output on your head unit. That's it. It has a self-aware function, where it turns itself on when you power up the head unit.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 01-18-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:16 PM
Registered

I really appreciate the details. I am familiar with the bazookas and they are nice. I love the idea of their location (totally out of the way)! I need to do some measuring on mine.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 8 inch bazooka tube hlcd full range speaker tubes do a decent job of getting you there if building a enclosure or sealing the front wave from the back wave of your full range speakers is a challenge on your boat . The rear bench seat is almost always your best bet for subwoofer duty but you cant just slap a couple of subs in there and have it be complete.i have 2 jl 10w6 in my rear bench sealed absolute air tight , no lifting up a cushion and seeing subs kinda tight. Sounds awsome but It is alot of work to get it sealed up and stay sealed.otherwise the waterproof prefab ported boxes for the kicker comp 10 work real well are cheap ,and relatively compact
Old 03-11-2023, 06:48 AM
Registered

Thanks airjunky, great info!! Much appreciated