Airtag as Boat Tracking Device? >

Airtag as Boat Tracking Device?

Notices

Airtag as Boat Tracking Device?

Old 04-06-2022, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Airtag as Boat Tracking Device?

Is anyone else using Apple Airtags to keep tabs on their boat or other vehicles?

I'm using a 4 pack with great success in vehicles including the boat. Being mine is stored in a residential area away from my house it's continually updated, mostly likely by the neighbor with Apple phones but also other Apple users passing by. When at service facilities I've also noticed satisfactory updates to its location. I can't think of a more cost efficient tracking system at $25 per Airtag.

What's your experience?
Old 04-06-2022, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

well, at first, i thought the tech was kinda stupid, pointless, etc. (my iphone, ipad, tesla, drone, etc all have GPS built in, and report home).

BUT, you just gave me a damn good use case.

assuming the person stealing my boat has an iPhone or is near an iPhone, it would certainly help me know it moved.
Or if someone with an iPhone walks by it at the marina, it would let me know it was still at the marina.
Or if they get anywhere close to anyone with an iPhone, the location would update.

I wonder if this could count as tracking for insurance purposes.

Obviously you can hide this thing somewhere on the boat fairly easily, so it would be unlikely to be discovered before you were made aware of it's location.

so, well, ****. I guess I'll be buying some air tags now! Thank you.

Looks like 1 year battery life, water resistant, battery replaceable. Does the app show you battery life %?
The following 2 users liked this post by SabrToothSqrl:
TomZ (04-06-2022), Tractionless (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl View Post
well, at first, i thought the tech was kinda stupid, pointless, etc. (my iphone, ipad, tesla, drone, etc all have GPS built in, and report home).

BUT, you just gave me a damn good use case.

assuming the person stealing my boat has an iPhone or is near an iPhone, it would certainly help me know it moved.
Or if someone with an iPhone walks by it at the marina, it would let me know it was still at the marina.
Or if they get anywhere close to anyone with an iPhone, the location would update.

I wonder if this could count as tracking for insurance purposes.

Obviously you can hide this thing somewhere on the boat fairly easily, so it would be unlikely to be discovered before you were made aware of it's location.

so, well, ****. I guess I'll be buying some air tags now! Thank you.

Looks like 1 year battery life, water resistant, battery replaceable. Does the app show you battery life %?
My thinking is the same as yours with the only downfall I see is if someone with an iphone searches for an unknown airtag with the "Find My" app.; the tag will audibly ping and they can look for it prior to theft. I haven't looked for a way to silence them. As we know thieves like a quick getaway so it's a minimum another deterrent. Yes the Find My app. shows your battery life as well as your possessions locations on a map.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:38 PM
Registered

I can only assume/hope it would alert me, that it moved, before it alerts them, the tag is tracking them. I'll get some and play with them, see how long it takes to alert my wife its on her car. (I will tell her first, plus we use find friends, so she is fully aware I have her location).

I'd think you could hide it well enough to mask the noise? or can it be disabled? I don't want to help people illegally track people. I want to keep my boat mine.

Agree about the deterrent. If they do an 'air tag sweep' prior to theft, maybe they will just move on.
Although most aren't that slick... just saw another photo where they cut the muffler off a car (vs. the cat).... #Genius.

Imagine stealing a boat, then seeing this:
https://support.apple.com/library/co...tification.png

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 04-06-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

I would assume if the thief has an I Phone, and gets the ping, they will move on to the next target. They are not likely going to spend time looking for a hidden device, Too risky. Friend here, had one on his side by side parked in his drive. Came home one night, it was gone. Called up the AirTag, located the sbs, called the sheriff, bad boys busted for the theft of the sbs, the truck they used and a trailer. They were also squatters in a condo near by. Dumb arses !
The following 2 users liked this post by Helmwurst:
SabrToothSqrl (04-07-2022), SB (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 08:32 AM
Registered

Apparently the air tag starts to make noise 8-24 hours after being separated from it's owner?
Obviously most of us don't live on our boats. (yet)!
I see a video on youtube on how to disable the speaker.

Does anyone know if this occurs? I picked one up at walmart last night and put it in the wife's cars cupholder. she's going some places with it, so I'm curious if it beeps or alerts her, and how well it tracks. (she's well aware its in the cup holder). we already both use find friends.

I wish it could alert me on move, but I'm guessing apple left that off on purpose. ugh. (I'm aware 'moving' means someone with an iphone is within 20' of it, and it updates the location), so I know it's not 100% real time.

Maybe I can write my own app to check location every hour and if it moves, send an alert.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 04-07-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:06 AM
Registered

Well, the airtag tracked my wife's car just fine, it updated about 3-4x during a 45 min drive. (I assume using her phone), it's not linked in anyway to her phone/account.
I know it's not real time tracking, but even knowing what city a stolen boat is in, would be a HUGE freaking help!

and now says it's in a 3 block blue circle. and the center is directly where her parking garage is.

If my boat was within a 3 block city circle, I'd be willing to let the cops know it's location and be more than willing to assist in the search!

Yesterday, during testing, in a parking lot, the location was within 2-3 parking spaces. It seems as people walked by the car the location would update to be more precise.

She stated the tag didn't let he know it was with her. Scary from a creeper perspective, but I just want to know where my boat is.

I'm still unclear on what 'notify when found' does.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:03 AM
Registered

Someone must have walked by the air tag (not her) it's location is now within 10 feet of it's real world location. this is so cool. I'm such a nerdy spy. I could totally see how some a$$hole could use this to track people, and that sucks. But like most things it can be used for good or evil. I hope the laws correctly punish people who track people.

My only remaining concern is that air tag will beep when I don't use my boat for a few days in a row, but if I stick it deep in the boat, maybe a thief wouldn't be able to hear it. They sure as fudge won't hear it over twin 350s with pipes right out the back... so maybe it's not a real issue. Maybe I can force it to beep at home and see how loud it is. Or hey, maybe the beeping encourages the potential thief to move along.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 04-07-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 188 Likes on 114 Posts

I have no experience with the airtag, but i assume that it just connects via Bluetooth to a phone and uses the phone's GPS to give a location. If this is the case, it would be useless if someone took the boat out to sea. Unless of course the thief happened to have an iPhone that was compatible with it.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:49 PM
Registered

that's true, however I'd have to assume most people aren't interested in leaving land and 'going out to sea indefinitely'. What with needing food and or fuel at some point.

So they'd have to take it to shore at some point, or somewhere that other humans are, who probably have phones.

So, while it cannot track 'in motion' on open sea, when it arrives somewhere, you'd get the location.

there's a good chance someone at the fuel dock, marina, on land, etc. has an iPhone.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 04-07-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.