Stereo install first time >

Stereo install first time

Notices

Stereo install first time

Old 06-02-2023, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo install first time

Ok I bought 4 inch kicker marine speakers I have a 242ls my ? Is is it gonna be Loud enough i do have a set of 12 that are stuck in the hole that are in a band pass box. Is this a reasonably idea too run them our won't they work like this and it a bad idea I just thought I had the room and they worked good in the car why not throw them in there also I'm looking for help on how to wire up the battery and what everyone thinks I should do too make it so I'm not the guy at the sand bar starting the boat with a jump box when I let it run too long and it runs the battery dead any help would be greatly appreciated ahead of time everthing should be in from crutchfield in a few hours I got a pioneer 400 watt rms amp that gonna run the 8 and a alpine deck long you think that will run for before I kill the battery and will it be loud enough I haven't ever heard these speakers but just this set up cost me around 1200 so if I add bass it gonna cost more and I'm assumingI'm gonna have too add some kind of xs battery. I do have 2 die hard deep cycle and one bigger deep cycle battery with a selector Satch switch it not hooked up right now too separate the starting battery from the bigger battery so I need help there also thanks in advance it my first real boat stero and I'd like to run it for at least 4 hours without starting the boat help I have a twin screw formula 242 ls I put the band pass box where the fridge used to be the things useless anyways
Old 06-02-2023, 08:16 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts

How long the system lasts is gonna depend on how hard you push the system and how big the amp hours are on the battery's
Lets assume you are actually using the full 400 watts in that amp and just lock it at 11 till it kills the battery.....400watts divided by 12volts...give you 33.3amps...that's what the amp is drawing at full load.....now you have to look at the battery's reserve capacity...it tells you how long a battery will last in minutes with a 25amp load placed on it.
Took this from the internet:
Commonly referred to as RC, reserve capacity is the amount of time, in minutes, that a 12V battery can run before dropping to 10.5V. It is measured in reserve minutes. For example, if a battery has a reserve capacity of 150, that means it can supply 25 amps for 150 minutes before the voltage drops to 10.5V.
Obviously you are pulling more juice from it so the time will be shortened. But it gives you an idea of what to look for....
If you keep the stereo system on its own battery but still be able to switchover to the main battery then you can still be sure you have a good starting battery to get home on even after the stereo kills its supply ...just make sure to always have the switch on its one dedicated battery and not set to BOTH or you will kill the starting battery too!
As for loud enough....you have to keep in mind that you are playing sound into an open air environment. When i had my Scarab i had four Infinity Perfect 10" subs in sealed boxes under the back seat powered by a 1000watt amp and had Rockford Fosgate components in the cockpit on a 500watt 4chan amp....when you were inside the boat you couldn't see straight....if you were in a houseboat right next to us looking down the music was perfectly clear and i could almost overpower some of the DJ systems they had onboard
but you go 10' sideways to another boat and you can tell there's something there but it gets lost fast...sounded like the neighborhood kick was rolling down the block with his rap music going....you know there's something big there but cant quite make it out yet....
Basically you are just making yourself happy inside your own space so dont expect to win any stereo battles out on the water! LOL

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-02-2023, 05:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 618 Likes on 283 Posts

This is extremely hard to read without punctuation...just saying.

Do you only have the (1) 400 watt amp?
You say you have "a set of 12s", but then you mention something about running an 8" speaker?
How many speakers are you planning on running?

Wally gave good info on your likely battery capacity scenario.
And frankly, no...that system you are describing is frankly, very weak...you will not even be able to hear it while running, and it will be poor to mediocre.at best while at rest. You just don't have the speakers nor the power for an open air environment.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 682 Posts

The Formulas of that era are hard to get good sound from the cockpit. The spaces are rather small and down low away from the listening level. Also, the surfaces are generally parallel to one another thus canceling out frequencies.

If you can install the speakers angled up and toward the listening area, it will sound much better than just installing them flat. The same goes for anything installed under the rear bench.

I have one 10-inch sub located on the port side just forward of the seat. I used a 10-inch truck box that I was able to slide into the storage compartment and screw into the side. There is a hole for the sub and everything is screwed together with a sealant. It hits very hard for a 10 - I’m only powering it with an alpine PDX-5M. I wish I had angled the other speakers toward the up center but didn’t think of it at the time (the tweeters are adjustable though and that helped some… Polk). Anyway, it’s clean and loud for what it is.

One thing to keep in mind… the opening and depth of the side storage areas are smaller on the 242 compared to the 311 (I’ve had both). If you mount the sub the way I was describing, you may run into figment issues.

And I’ll second the punctuation thing. Was hard has hell reading that post.