Cummins/Mercruiser Diesel >

Cummins/Mercruiser Diesel

Notices

Cummins/Mercruiser Diesel

Old 09-26-2008, 12:58 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins/Mercruiser Diesel

New development with Eliminator...500+ hp with 1000lb or torque...

Motors are going into this 43' Eagle...

Target delivery date is the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Diesel vs Gas

Schue, I am curious as to what the motivation would be to have Diesel engines in a performance boat over the traditional gas powered?

My understanding is that the the diesel motors weigh more than the gas powered big blocks - certainly more than the ilmors.

...and today Diesl fuel costs more than gas.

I have Diesel motors in my tow rig, specifically for torque and towing power...but gas power in my porsche.

I'm a computer guy so this may be an ignorant question - but as an Elim fan, I am just curious.

Thanks!!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Registered

That looks just like the one in my Ram - Cool, I wonder if it would fit in my velocity.

As for the why - I can tell you one thing I have 2 rams one with the old 5.9 (360) gas and the other with a 5.9 Cummins Turbo diesel (wifes laid clains too). Rolling start or from a dead stop she walks away everytime. Gas gets about 12-16mpg. stole the diesel for the trip in to work today - reset the mini-compass got an average 27mpg
Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
Schue, I am curious as to what the motivation would be to have Diesel engines in a performance boat over the traditional gas powered?

My understanding is that the the diesel motors weigh more than the gas powered big blocks - certainly more than the ilmors.

I have Diesel motors in my tow rig, specifically for torque and towing power...but gas power in my porsche.

I'm a computer guy so this may be an ignorant question - but as an Elim fan, I am just curious.

Thanks!!
I'm not expert, so will follow-up with the shop for more details on the project.

Of the conservations that I have been a part of, diesel is a long-term goal based on the torque-to-weight ratios available and fuel consumption/alternatives. The Audi, for example, puts out an amazing 600+hp, 1000# of torque, and weighs less than 700 lbs... The diesel motor's realiability is also key in offshore applications. Mercury Racing is leading this effort to develop a strong package for marine applications.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered

I'm guessing you need a #6 behind that torque monster
Old 09-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie

Thanks!!

Reliability and huge amounts Torque
Old 09-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Registered

Fuel efficiency as well. Also the service interval is huge, in some cases thousands of hours. Couple that with the ability to have higher cruising speeds (percentage wise compared to gas motors) and better speed recovery. In addition, I would love to see Elim work with PPE and throw some marinized duramax motors in a boat. I can see that being a great combo, light and powerful......
Old 09-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered

Multi speed trannys?? overdrive ???? Proposed top end ?? looks good!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stainless
Multi speed trannys?? overdrive ???? Proposed top end ?? looks good!
I'll get some details next week...weight, drive package, etc.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:46 AM
Registered

wow thats cool its gonna stink up the cabin real good... I love the smell of my diesel truck in the morning.. who's tuning that motor?

Quick Reply: Cummins/Mercruiser Diesel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.