28 Eliminator stock what's the best setup >

28 Eliminator stock what's the best setup

Notices

28 Eliminator stock what's the best setup

Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28 Eliminator stock what's the best setup

I have just purchased a 28 Eliminator with twin 496's, 30 pitch lab 5 blades, & a 1.35 gear ratio. I was wondering what the best setup is for this boat. Should I change the gear ratio or the prop pitch? Right now I am getting 93 GPS.
Thanks, Tom Earhart
Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of Earhart Engineering TT motors would be a good start!

Will you have the boat at Hardy Party in a couple of weeks?

As for your set-up if it has boxes you'll likely end up with the propshaft being 1-2" above the bottom of the boat. Without boxes probably even to 1" below the bottom. A few of my friends have had 28's and they are a great boat. One had twin 1000ish HP motors and it did 145 MPH!

Craig
Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

WETTE VETTE Yes I will be at Hardy, I am still learning how to drive the boat, I am not sure how much trim to run, it seems to want very little.
Tom
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tom Earhart
I have just purchased a 28 Eliminator with twin 496's, 30 pitch lab 5 blades, & a 1.35 gear ratio. I was wondering what the best setup is for this boat. Should I change the gear ratio or the prop pitch? Right now I am getting 93 GPS.
Thanks, Tom Earhart
Congrats on your purchase. I had a 2007 28 daytona, also w/stock 496 HO's. I had 1:36 gear ratios, and the best props I had were labbed 32 5 blades. I saw 101mph a few times in ideal conditions...but consistently ran in the mid to high 90's.

It's a great boat and was my first cat.

If you haven't had a performance cat before, you might want to think about taking Tres Martin's performance boating class. It was money well spent. It'll teach you how to drive that boat. You can get yourself in a bit of trouble with high speed cats, a whole lot more than a traditional vee hull....I had 15 years of vee experience prior to getting in my 28, and had a couple of hairy situations. Since taking Tres' course, I've managed to avoid those.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered

Adrenaline Junkie how much trim did you run? My drives are stamped 1:35 ratio, they also have a big prop shaft. You mentioned that your drives were 1:36. I know that my prop shafts are above the bottom of the boat, I'll get a good measurement tonight.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
Congrats on your purchase. I had a 2007 28 daytona, also w/stock 496 HO's. I had 1:36 gear ratios, and the best props I had were labbed 32 5 blades. I saw 101mph a few times in ideal conditions...but consistently ran in the mid to high 90's.

It's a great boat and was my first cat.

If you haven't had a performance cat before, you might want to think about taking Tres Martin's performance boating class. It was money well spent. It'll teach you how to drive that boat. You can get yourself in a bit of trouble with high speed cats, a whole lot more than a traditional vee hull....I had 15 years of vee experience prior to getting in my 28, and had a couple of hairy situations. Since taking Tres' course, I've managed to avoid those.

Good luck!
I was just in Mich too!!!!!! Traverse City
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Registered

Tom has had performance cats. Probably one of the fastest singles around. Congrats on the purchase. You are going to love the ride of the bigger cat.

Good luck![/QUOTE]
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered

My prop shafts are 1.5" above the bottom of the boat and I don't have any transome extensions.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tom Earhart
Adrenaline Junkie how much trim did you run? My drives are stamped 1:35 ratio, they also have a big prop shaft. You mentioned that your drives were 1:36. I know that my prop shafts are above the bottom of the boat, I'll get a good measurement tonight.
Yeah, my xdim was about the same as that as I recall (I traded in my 28 for my 36 a few years back, so I don't remember the exact xdim, but it was about an inch or 2 above the bottom of the boat.)

The higher the xdim, the more you're going to need that 5 blade prop. We struggled getting on plane with the 4 blade, but there was no issue with the 5 blade props.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered

Has anyone tried the 1:26 gear ratio with 30 pitch props on a 28 Daytona?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.