1979 31 Excailbur

Notices

1979 31 Excailbur

Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 31 Excailbur

Hi all!

Making a trip this weekend to look at a 79 Excailbur with 454's and TRS stern-drives. I got the first dibs on the boat. (Friend of a friend). Is there anything I should look for?

One engine has been rebuild along with standard maintenance. It has new batteries, impellers, 3 blade Mirage propellers and a trailer.

He wants $8000 for it. Good price? I am worried about rot. Motor/glass work isn't a problem for me, I've done. I just don't know the market for a boat like this.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A boat turns to crap every 10 years, give or take. If that one has been redone twice, it's due again. Depends on where in the cycle it is.

Get it surveyed. Don't be afraid to walk away. It would be easy to dump 60K or more into an old Excalibur. Cool boats though.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jammin'
It would be easy to dump 60K or more into an old Excalibur. Cool boats though.
Your kidding! You would have to be crazy to do something like that!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TxHawk
Let's not talk about crazy. I thought I was being conservative!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TxHawk
I'd never do nothing like that.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never put that kind of money in that old of a boat . but if it runs good and the interior is nice buy it and use it .
Old 04-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jammin'

No, but I don't think it is even worth going to look at. It is only a hour or so from my location.

Most boat that I have found in this vintage are to the point where they need a lot of $$$ to fix them back up. This also includes new stringers and transom work. It is also my understanding that parts for the TRS stern drivers are getting harder to find.

In my mind 8-15K for a early 80's boat isn't worth the time, energy, or the cash. I would be much better off buying something a little newer. After I put the time and green into fixing up a old boat, I might as well go for something newer.

The only way I might consider a early 80 or late 70's boat is if I could get the whole ball of wax for under 5k. Then maybe, just maybe, it might be worth it.

What do others think? Am I off base?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You are right unless the boat has some particular significance to you or it's a labor of love. Otherwise, go buy a nice 32' Active Thunder.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Registered

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I have the same boat that is in question. I have about $15,00 into it give or take. I paid $9500 for it in 2007, it came with a trailer. The boat just had the engines resealed and one new transmission in it when I bought it. In 2008 I had to have the other transmission resealed as the pump seal went out and I had it rebuilt at the same time. I would have done the job myself, I just didn't have a way to lift the engine/trans out. I also rebuilt one of the TRS drives. I was easy to get parts for, just spendy. The hard part is finding someone capable to work on one. Mine came with a trailer as well. The only thing I put into that was 6 wheel cylinders, a master cylinder and 6 new tires.

For what I have invested it is a fun boat.

But like all have said it is easy to spend money on these things. My transom had some leaks, those are all sealed and it has about 3 gallons of Git-Rot in it now. I know it isn't the right fix, but according to moisture meater, and small hammer transom is good for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.