Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
Was told my Excalibur is not an excalibur. Doing Detective Work. >

Was told my Excalibur is not an excalibur. Doing Detective Work.

Notices

Was told my Excalibur is not an excalibur. Doing Detective Work.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was told my Excalibur is not an excalibur. Doing Detective Work.

Hey there. I'm hoping someone out there may be able to answer a few questions I have.. I have a 1974 Excalibur 24' that I have had up for sale for a couple years now. Just had someone come by to look at it and told me it was not an Excalibur.

The title information i have has it listed as a 1974 Excalibur 'PEDBOATC' (as the model), and after doing some research on the HIN, which is listed on the title (but nowhere to be found on the transom) it starts with PDC, which, when searching the manufacturers identification website, shows up as 'P & D CLASSIC INC' out of Miami.

I've never really thought about it not being what it says it is, and never gave it much thought otherwise. I've had a few people come to look at it that seemed fairly knowledgeable about those model boats and have never mentioned anything about it before.

From what I am reading, there is supposed to be another HIN somewhere on the boat, possibly somewhere hidden but accessible. Does anyone have any idea where that might be?

The guy said something about it being a Lancer, but from what I can find, the only thing that turns up for 1974 Lancer is a fishing boat.

Attaching a pic as well.. Probably not the most detailed shot.. Its the best I have without going out and taking another. Are there any other distinguishing features that I can check for to verify what it actually is?

Also going to call the Secretary of State to see if they have any back information on the HIN to see if the title was ever changed.

Any information anyone might have is very much appreciated.. i'm dumbfounded here.

http://i.imgur.com/hBLxW.jpg
Old 05-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excalibur HINs begin with NAP

Here's a good place to start for more info.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...her-boats.html
Old 05-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a P&D and obviously your title says it is. So my opinion is that it's a P&D. Very popular boat here in South Fl in the 70's and early 80's.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:45 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Are the gauges centered over the cabin entrance?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

Wow.. crazy.. that just answered quite a bit looking at that.. I'm pretty convinced that the title I have is not for that boat.. It's a Michigan boat, and from what I have found it could be any of the "Lancer/Aero/Predator/Awesome/Dynamic Marine" boats.. Made by Jim Clem.

Next question would be, which one is it, and is Jim Clem still around, or is there anyone in the Michigan/Detroit area that would be able to tell what I have here?

I'm still hoping there is a hull number hidden somewhere on this thing aside from what should be on the transom. Wonder if there is a way to trace it back using the MC numbers/registration.

I'd like to get it all squared away with the proper documents before I continue to try to sell it..

I appreciate the link. Kinda crazy to find out you don't have what you thought you had years later.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Are the gauges centered over the cabin entrance?
Yes.. not sure how much of it is original though.

Looks like a P&D and obviously your title says it is. So my opinion is that it's a P&D. Very popular boat here in South Fl in the 70's and early 80's.
title also lists the hull type as "open" as well, and that is not correct.. so i'm not sure what I believe.

I'm going to try and get a title history on it.. Luckily we have those in Michigan.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

The HIN checks out on boatfax as a P&D.. It's nowhere to be found on the hull still, and from what I have read, they were not required until '76.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I believe what you have is a Lancer built & sold by Jim Clem here in Michigan. Your boat had a Stern Power drive originally on it . [Jim used them exclusivly back then] Hidden numbers ,,,I dont think there were any back then on Jims boats.. As your hull was yellow gel originally it could have any number on the transom & redone. I dont think I would dig to deep into this as you may open a real can of worms for yourself. This is not the first time this has come up on one of his boats were past owners change titles & hull ID ###.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
I believe what you have is a Lancer built & sold by Jim Clem here in Michigan. Your boat had a Stern Power drive originally on it . [Jim used them exclusivly back then] Hidden numbers ,,,I dont think there were any back then on Jims boats.. As your hull was yellow gel originally it could have any number on the transom & redone. I dont think I would dig to deep into this as you may open a real can of worms for yourself. This is not the first time this has come up on one of his boats were past owners change titles & hull ID ###.
Thanks for the advise.. sounds like you may have been one of the people to come out and look at it

How can I accurately represent this boat when trying to sell it though? I don't want to deceive anyone now that I know what it is.. Is the Lancer considered a decent hull or did I just end up with fool's gold?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk810
Thanks for the advise.. sounds like you may have been one of the people to come out and look at it

How can I accurately represent this boat when trying to sell it though? I don't want to deceive anyone now that I know what it is.. Is the Lancer considered a decent hull or did I just end up with fool's gold?
All Lancer were rigged by Jim, some of the hulls were originally made in California, than the later hulls were built here in Michigan so quality can vary. If you want it gone, sell it for what you think the engine , drive and trailer are worth. This Lancer has been for sale for some time with no issues and hasn't sold, http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/2393920723.html it's a tuff market today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.