Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
[PICS] Painting Das Boat.... What a great buzz. >

[PICS] Painting Das Boat.... What a great buzz.

Notices

[PICS] Painting Das Boat.... What a great buzz.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default [PICS] Painting Das Boat.... What a great buzz.

So, I got all the primer shot on my big boat. The first two coats I saw rain start right as I got going because of the curse. The Boat hated it's name of BOILERMAKER. look that up on urbandictionary.com to see why I don't blame the boat for having been in a foul mood. Now that the 3rd coat of sealer/primer is on and the cursed old name can't be seen I didn't see any rain while working in it yesterday...but I did see some cool colors and other funky sstuff (and I had a paint mask with new filters on). Primer/Sealer is done. Color goes on Friday and it will be a nice bright blue. First...wet sanding and another very light coat of primer will be sprayed before the color.

My neighbors should have thanked me for the buzz instead of saying, "Hey, *******, you're getting us all high and the dogs are going crazy." Ungrateful whiners!

I'll send pics when I find the motivation to move everything off of photobucket if these pics from my semi-private FB account don't work.

:cheers:

This was the first coat i did and ran out of paint in the gun. That light spot towards the aft end was properly coverred :yesnod:

Old 08-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 367 Likes on 246 Posts

Painted outside? No flies stuck in paint? Looks good!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

paint it twice.... bugs never land in the same spot .... so when you wet sand it there no bug spots
Old 08-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
Painted outside? No flies stuck in paint? Looks good!
No bugs. I got lucky. I also had no choice but to paint it outside since I haven't won the lottery yet and can't afford a large enough booth

This won't be the greatest paint job ever done, but it will be decent, though. Nothing like Grafix and Glass Dave can do over in the paint section. I simply don't have the time and $$. Again, it's that lack of lottery winnings thing holding me back
Old 08-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
paint it twice.... bugs never land in the same spot .... so when you wet sand it there no bug spots
Single stage paint....no wet sanding. Just buffing when the paint is hardened enough.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the boat and the pics. keep them coming its nice to see : )
Old 08-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lots of coats.... wet sand and buff... it's worth it
Attached Thumbnails [PICS] Painting Das Boat.... What a great buzz.-013.jpg  

Last edited by northernoffshore; 08-09-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Registered

I might wet sand the color after 3 light coats and then put on a couple more. Then to buffing. That's the part I really hate.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Registered

I have some more work to do, but not much, on Das Boat (Yes... I said it right...Das Boat). After I peeled most tape and plastic yesterday I decided to pain all the way around the stern of the boat to make it match the silver color on top.

Then I have a literal boat load tape to continue peeling and a **** ton of buffing to do on the paint in a couple of weeks when it all cures. Everything I painted laid out nice and smooth too, so I'd say it's not bad for an amateur. And If I ever decide to do this again, shoot me. Next time I'm rolling gelcoat. With a hull this old, no matter how much prepwork and sanding, you still see high and low spots in it and there was no way I was sanding everything down far enough to smooth it out for paint or using a **** ton of bondo.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great... nice work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.