Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
Update on Das Boat.... 1982 38' Excalibur >

Update on Das Boat.... 1982 38' Excalibur

Update on Das Boat.... 1982 38' Excalibur

Old 12-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Registered

Default Update on Das Boat.... 1982 38' Excalibur

Well, I haven't posted in a while. Life happens and boat maintenance never stops. Here's an update on my 1982 38' Excalibur.

The paint has been done for some time, but I'm going to gelcoat the top shell in March when it warms up. I powder coated both engines red/green while I rebuilt them (previous owner used automotive gaskets and made a mess) and have started the deck furniture and flooring. Here's a few pics.

I didn't like the way the floors always got filthy so I tore everything out including the deck furniture. That saved me roughly 600lbs. Ouch

So, I put down some foam flooring. It works great and sticks with some extra rubber cement that can be bought by the gallon and is weather proof. I hadn't joined the seams at this point, yet. the same flooring material will be used along the sides of the deck interior, too.

Here's a mock up of the deck furniture using spare pieces i had laying around from another boat. I was going for the least amount of weight possible. It weighs much less without my old man in the boat :P

Here's the final layout with all new furniture installed. Yes, the back bench was designed this way to prevent "heffalump" transport. Yeah, I'm about as shallow as the draft on Das Boat. :P

Das Boat..... it was a nasty brown paint scheme and was named the Boilermaker. That name is cursed if you look it up on urban dictionary so it's getting renamed properly to The Barnacle Bill

And here is the engine lid. I have one more piece to make and fix up to cover the storage space between the rear bench and the engine bay. No biggie.

And here's an old pic of what it looked like when I bought it.

Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 12-03-2019 at 12:49 PM.