Excalibur 40 vs. ? >

Excalibur 40 vs. ?

Notices

Excalibur 40 vs. ?

Old 06-27-2003, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excalibur 40 vs. ?

How does the early 80's Excalibur 40 stack up against other big offshores from the same time period - say, the Formula 357/402, Cig 38 Flatdeck, Scarab 38, etc?

Just doing some research right now, but I've seen one that really caught my eye. I want to try and get a little bit more 'educated' before I pursue it further. My biggest worry is the structural strength of a 20 year old boat - how do the stringers and transom hold up? What about the fuel tanks? How many, and how difficult to replace, if necessary?

What is the history of the brand? Is the company still in business, or are they long gone? Basically, I know nada about Excalibur, but would like to learn! So, how about some help from you owners out there?

TIA!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:01 PM
Registered

Dockrocker....I don't know about the early 80's Excalibur models, I have a Wellcraft Excalibur Hawk 40....I believe 1984 is the only year that Wellcraft built them, according to the Wellcraft rep. I talked to he told me that Wellcraft only built them in 85.....mine is transom stamped as a 84....anyway Wellcraft was known for using poor grades of lumber in or around that era, mine seems to be ok at this time, I like the room inside the boat because of the 9' beam, as far as comparing with a Cig. 38 flat deck with equal hp it may be a bit slower (the Excalibur that is) mine has a single 208-210 gallon fuel tank and as far as replacing it the cockpit floor would have to be pulled...all in all they are a boat with good lines and can be made to look great....it's all up to what you want I guess....good luck in your search.....Fred
Old 07-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Registered

fred, thanks, I thought your boat was earlier. I'm not sure what the relationship between the Wellcraft boats and the earlier Excaliburs is - that's one the questions I'm trying to answer. Seems like the '83 Excalibur 40 and your boat don't share a whole lot other than the name?

I'm betting someone out there knows the story...
Old 07-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Registered

Hey Fred,
What does your Hull Identification Number Start with?
My 1984 Excalibur 31' starts with NAP.
DS
Old 07-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Registered

not tht this is even related but my 79 excalibur 24, not a wellcraft, had alot of gel cracks around the cleats but the hull is still solid as a rock. That boat is heavy and built like a brick ****house. I think even at 24 yrs old I feel safer with that hull in rough water than a newer comparable boat. Excalibur marine boats were very well built (so I've been told). This prolly doesn't help you at all with the info your seeking but sorry I'm only familiar with the Little Excaliburs. I'd like to learn more about them as well but info seems sparse on these boats. If you get some answers to your Question please do post them. Thanks
Martin.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:44 AM
Registered

Zanie, mine starts with WEL
Dockrocker, I think Wellcraft aquired the molds from Excalibur and built the boats....they look the same inside and out when I compared a 83 Excalibur to my 84 Wellcraft...in the 40 anyway.....Fred
Old 07-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Between three of our friends we have 3 40's and a 27'. If you take my 82 model and put it next to the 84 they look the same. Then take a fist and bang on the hull sides, there is the difference. The Excaliburs are much more solid feeling. Do you guys with 40's have the nothched transom, and what is your engine comp stringer lay out like. The 82 has a huge stringer in the middle where the 84 has shorter ones.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

Mine has a notched transom and the center stringer is about 3" thick and 20"-24" high, then there are outside stringers to each side of the center one about 24" away that are like 2x10's, my 40 is stamped 84 but Wellcraft says it's a 85.....Fred
Old 07-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Registered

Whats the reasoning for the notched transom anyway?.....Fred
Old 07-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

With the notched transom, you can raise the drive X dimension, which in turn gives lower drag from drives. Only some of the Wellcraft Hawk 40's had notched transoms as they forgot to put the transom plug in the mold on some of the first ones they built. Wellcraft bought Bill Farmer's Excalibur Marine in early 1984 and built the Hawk 40 from then through 1985 or 1986. I still have a Wellcraft Sales brochure from 1986 that shows the Hawk 40 listed, but not sure if they built any that year. Also there is a interesting updated 1983 Hawk 40 on the Yacht World web. site, Double Diamonds at Lake of The Ozarks. Jon

Quick Reply: Excalibur 40 vs. ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.