painting boat, need help and advise >

painting boat, need help and advise

Notices

painting boat, need help and advise

Old 07-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting boat, need help and advise

I have painted cars before, and they all look good. Even did custom graphics on motorcycle tanks.

With never doing a boat, I seek some advise. My boat is a 76 superboat. It currently has bottom gel with painted top. I will keep this combo with my new set up unless people convince me to paint the whole boat.

Question 1 - If I gel coat the bottom, do I need to remove the old gel or spray over it?

2 - How many coats of gel, and how do you mix the wax in the last coat to cure the gel?

3 - What type of paint are people using on there boat? Have experience with various manufactors, but want to know some quality companies for marine applications.

I thought painting 101 was going to cover paint a boat, but is more of a chat room. Any info would be great on this topic.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:35 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: painting boat, need help and advise

101 has the stuff you need, just have to get through the 50 pages of crap, i am sure dave will chime in here, or another one of the guys that does this for a living...
Old 07-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

actually jv i have a bunch of stuff i havent put up yet. havent had the time to sort it all out but will very soon. i will put the whole run down on the process. always glad to help out in any way i can.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-14-2005, 05:23 AM
Registered

Thanks, the help is appreciated. Never was I being negitive about the 101 thread or the info in it, but there is a lot of chit chat and makes it difficult with dial up to real all the pages.

I don't plan on painting the boat until winter time, so I am just trying to get my ducks in a row so everything goes as plan.

thanks again
Old 07-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info.

I plan on painting the whole boat, but was going to gel the bottom and then paint the sides and top. I am only concerned with the bottom of the boat being painted and the durability of it. I trailer the boat so it is only in the water 2 or 3 days at the most.

My goal is to spray the whole boat white and then lay graphics over that. I don't mind work, but if you say Imron or Algrip is that good of a product, I might try that and spray the whole boat instead of gel.

Do you need to spray Imron / Algrip then spray a clear over it? What are the steps in applying it? Can you wet sand Imron or Algrip?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I have sprayed PPG before so that makes the top side easy. I normally work with sikkens paint, so ppg is in the price range by a long shot.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sikkens will work very well also. You can work with them. If your local rep is real good you can probably get them to warrantee it.

I never really see much of a difference btwn gel and paint as far as the total amount of work. For example:

If you paint you sand (maybe with 180) then prime, then wet sand or dry sand down with probably 400-600. Then you still may want to wet sand it after you are done.

If you Gell you sand with 80 grit, then you spray, wet sand buff and are done. So IMO the steps are the same but in a different order. If you are only leaveing the boat in the water for 3 or so days the "automotive" stuff should be fine. If you plan to leave it in any longer then that I would go with gell.

Jon
Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

If you want to check out my project that I did a few years back. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=Painting
Old 08-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Registered

Art is right. Gel is for molds, not refinishing. Awl-Craft is the most chemicaly resistant, but hard to buff. PPG Concept is better for all over. Sand w/ 220 DA and shoot(unless you cut thru). Easy to buff and repair.Awl-Craft needs #400 and may need extra coats to hide but not necessary to prime all over.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Gmoney52
Art is right. Gel is for molds, not refinishing. Awl-Craft is the most chemicaly resistant, but hard to buff. PPG Concept is better for all over. Sand w/ 220 DA and shoot(unless you cut thru). Easy to buff and repair.Awl-Craft needs #400 and may need extra coats to hide but not necessary to prime all over.
Sorry guys but I whole heartedly disagree with you. There are new gell coat processes that make it spray out MUCH better, and if you plan to leave the boat in the water then Automotive paint, even awlgrip and Imron WILL bubble over time. None of them are warranteed for below the waterline use except for Gell. You can get Gell coat to look every bit as good as Eurathane if you know how. Hell if you know how you can put it on with a roller or brush.... You can also blend it very easily. There are a lot of advantages to both ways, I am still torn with what I am going to do on the deck of my boat. I think that I am going to go Eurathane, however, for the sides and bottom Gell was IMO the only option.

Jon

Quick Reply: painting boat, need help and advise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.