Pro's and Con's of single stage paint >

Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

Notices

Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

Old 08-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

What are the pro's and con's of single stage paint in an application were the whole boat will be a solid color with vinyl graphics going on after.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

It has been my experience that if u are going to paint a solid color, use single stage. Metallic colors are best done in base/clear. I like urethanes on gel because you don't need to prime/seal if surface is good.(save $ and T). I also like the option of using clear on last coat or after sanding paint w/#500-#600 after painting then a light color dust coat before 2 coats of clear. The urethanes are more chemical resistant throughout whereas B/C isn't. You will also have a over spray problem (mainly on deck) that will work a tack man hard if the booth doesn't draw properly.I try to single stage large projects as much as possible because of saving $, time, and is cleaner to spray. If you wish for more elaboration, don't hesitate to post or e-mail me.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Registered

I agree with most of what G-money says, however the only problem with single-stage paints is without clear on top of it you do not have as much UV protection. This is not as important on the sides as it is on the deck where you have constant direct sunlight. Depending on the paint system you use,with most brands of urethane paints you can add the same hardner (that you use in the clear) in the basecoat. This normally makes it just as chemically resistant as singlestage paint however it does not have the tendency to travel every where (AND STICK) like singlestage. In a less than perfect enviroment ,clean-up of over spray (especially colored) can be a pain in the ass!!! Also choosing a slow enough reducer will keep you from having the dry-spray problem but dry fast enough to reduce trash in the paint. It will however require clear for protection and it is a good idea to use a sealer first (in most cases). The basic pro's and con's are single-stage is less expensive but will not hold up as long in extreme conditions . I think G-money will agree that there are many solutions to a problem but to guide you in the right direction we would need to know (1) how long do you intend to keep the boat. (2) how much can you spend. (3) what do you have to work with. Hope this helps some. GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Registered

Also: One other thing to consider is that if you are going to be using vinyl stripes on top of the paint, the exposed areas are going to oxidize faster with the single-stage paint. This means that should you decide later to change or remove the graphics you will be more likely to see where they used to be!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Registered

Exellent addition. I am so used to spraying white single stage that UV protection is ot a big concern. With red, I would automatically clear the deck and if the hull sides weren't perfect, spend a little more time and money and clear x 2.
I have to ask customtouch, I am more familiar with PPG DBC bases and have mixed catalized clear with basecoat to make a single stage for very limited applications in an emergency, but haven't been exposed to using a hardener ( DU5 or DX61) in the DBC base. Am I understanding you correctly? Please elaborate on mixing and application process, please. G$
Old 08-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Registered

Gmoney, I am more familiar with Sikkens since that is what I use, so I don't know what the specific hardner is for PPG, however I do know there is one available to be added to the basecoat prior to the application of it. Everything else remains the same in the process,you just get a more stable and chemically resistant basecoat to work with. I know this only because of the paint reps trying to sell me on the system. Ask your rep or if you need to know, I could find out the ratio (which I beleive is 10%) and the type hardner used. You might ask Glassdave, it sounds like he is familiar with PPG. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I will be out of pocket until Monday but I will check back then.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Registered

Thank you. I believe PPG has the DAU system that is comparable. Anyone?? G$
Old 08-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

llok at awlgrip its the toughest longest lasting single stage out there and it lasts for ever and has a great gloss that holds up extremely well.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

Ratman,
How does awlgrip spray out, do you have to sand a lot before buffing it out, does it require a primer or sealer coat.
Thanks

Last edited by Johnny Venomous; 08-31-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Registered

Custom touch and Gmoney
Thanks for the info.
Are you saying that I can/should clear over the single stage for a better gloss. I like the idea of single stage in case I have to do a repair, it would be easier to fix without dealing with the clear. And how important is it to prime or seal.
If I clear can I colorsand it first?

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.